Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I looked at A TON of racks and cages before settling on this one.

I didn't want a cage because I'm not going on safari any time soon, and I didn't want to take the hit in gas mileage. Also, with my current garage setup, I can have the hard top off in 10 minutes flat, and a cage would have royally screwed up this process.

Installation was straightforward once I got brave enough to drill holes in the top. The rear and middle mounts require two 1/4" holes each, but the front mounts require two 18mm holes, so this is definitely a measure twice drill once kind of operation.

The only problem I had was that the upper mounting brackets for the backbone have 8mm studs that had so much paint on them that there was no way a nut was going on them until I cleaned up the threads with a wire brush.

The first picture shows what the top looks like with the mounting pads installed. the bars come off with quick release triggers so the mounting pads are the only thing thats permanently attached and you can use either aero bars, heavy duty bars or the 72" platform with the same mounting pads. It only takes about 2 minutes to take the bars on or off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, they just updated the weight limit for this system. It's a max of 264 lbs with the bars, but if you have the platform it's now 264 lbs rolling and 800 lbs static, so you could put a tent up there if you wanted. Not like people didn't do that before, but it's nice to have it in writing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts