Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need help. I sold my 98 JK a few weeks ago so I could down size to a YJ or Tj. I ended up buying a 4 banger 5 speed TJ with half doors and Bimini. Just what I wanted. But I need to tow a small boat. What is an inexpensive way to solve the hitch issue? Do they sell Mopar bolt-ons? I don't want to buy a new aftermarket bumper right now unless I have to or it is best to.

Aldo the front bumper is stock and no tow hooks. I put a 2" reciever hitch on the front and back of my JK, and kind of would like to do the same here. Also I put hooks on the front. What is the best way to put a hook or two on the front?

Sorry I did not search first but will start the search after I end this thread.

JK to TJ 'er

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Teague242 said:
Do you mean a 98 TJ??? I'm lost here JKs are 2007-current models....
The 9 and 0 are next to each other. He meant 08.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Harbor freight has 10k tow hooks for $8 each that will bolt on to the front. The use the two top bumper bolts. Just need to buy longer bolts. I think a 4 cyl can only pull 1k lbs

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Harbor freight has 10k tow hooks for $8 each that will bolt on to the front. The use the two top bumper bolts. Just need to buy longer bolts. I think a 4 cyl can only pull 1k lbs
Those HF hooks are strong and well built

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah....2008 to a 2003

Thanks for the quick info. And kudos for the man that picked up on my typo. The hitches look to be about $150. The JK was under $100 because it was simple. Maybe there is a bumper in the 150-250 range with a hitch? The hooks will be fine, as I'm only pulling a boat (300lbs) out of the water.

I found a Smittybuilt rear with hitch built in for $199 at Q-tech. That may do the trick.....maybe even find a used one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Some of the rock crawler type bumpers w/ a 2" receiver hitch are not rated for towing. They can be used as a recovery point but not for towing on the road. some lack the safety chain brackets.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some of the rock crawler type bumpers w/ a 2" receiver hitch are not rated for towing. They can be used as a recovery point but not for towing on the road. some lack the safety chain brackets.

Good point about no chain attachments. I'll only be towing 500 lbs. Plus it's a 4 cyl jeep so not real hauling planned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had an 01 TJ 4cyl 5spd and it could barely pull itself up a hill at hwy speeds. I pulled a small open trailer with a motorcycle on it about 120 miles each way on the interstate and it was pretty brutal. ...and that was a brand new jeep. On surface streets the gearing made towing a breeze.

I couldn't imagine going from my JK back to a 4cyl TJ. I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You won't find aftermarket bumpers with an integrated hitch rated due to liability issues, not for lack of towing capacity. Even that boat at only 500lbs, the short wheel base, 4cyl of the jeep will be somewhat a beat down to tow and a white knuckle experience.
Imagine going up hill or coming to a sudden stop with 500lbs behind you with stock brakes. You can get a mopar hitch for the jeep but go with a class III for nothing more than a 2" receiver vs. a class I that's 1.25".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get the impression that I want the TJ to be a towing monster. It is basically for beach launching through sand/rock where I will be in 4wd. And any local towing would be flat and side streets except for a 1 mile jump on the hwy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't get the impression that I want the TJ to be a towing monster. It is basically for beach launching through sand/rock where I will be in 4wd. And any local towing would be flat and side streets except for a 1 mile jump on the hwy.

I am taking the receiver hitch off of my 01 Wrangler....it is a 1 5/8 receiver hitch which would work fine for you. If you live near me in Florida (Tampa area) I would gladly sell it to you for like $25 or something....PM if interested. It looks fine and works fine, just not going to tow with it since I have a Dodge Ram for that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am taking the receiver hitch off of my 01 Wrangler....it is a 1 5/8 receiver hitch which would work fine for you. If you live near me in Florida (Tampa area) I would gladly sell it to you for like $25 or something....PM if interested. It looks fine and works fine, just not going to tow with it since I have a Dodge Ram for that.

Sorry..too far etc. But thanks for the offer and I just filled in my profile so people will know where I am located.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.0
163 Posts
Did similar smelt,
Just sold my 2009 Rubicon JK, now the happier owner of a 2004 6 cyl TJ.
Yeah the JK was great to drive but atleast my TJ don't leak like a sieve through the freedom roof panels and door seals.
Good luck with your new TJ.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in Oceanside and have a hitch you can have it is rusty and a class 2 but its yours if you want it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SRTJ stepped up...

.and donated an old hitch. I reconditioned it and it's on. Good to go for boat launch.

I also mounted tow brackets to the TJ front bumper. They mount in place of the rubber bumps onthe stock tj....same hole pattern. What a coincidence? Feel confident that it will hold, as the brackets are mounted right at the bumper mount/frame.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey Smelt I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to use my trash can as a painting table! There must be 10 different colors on the lid of it now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts