Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AEV 2.5 Dualsport coil lift with Bilstein 5100's, AEV Geo Brackets and Northridge 4x4 Grade 8 Bolt Kit. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Are there any tips you guys can offer me before I start turning wrenches and putting this thing on myself? (First suspension lift of any kind and first install of my own)

Is there anything I definitely should not do or any best practices learned the hard way you all would be willing to share?

Also, should I wait until I order my AEV procal to put the lift on or can I drive for a while with it installed and the stock wheels and tires? Or is it best to just leave it in the garage until I have the AEV procal, and tires (still undecided on 295/70x17 or 315/70x17)?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
When changing the suspension loosen all of the control arms. When suspension is installed and vehicle is sitting at ride height give it a few shakes. Then go down and torque everything to spec. This will unbind the bushings ect. I added teraflex front track bar. This isn't entirely needed but does center the axle and improve handling. You can ride with the stock tires but personally I think it will look like a roller skate. The 315s will look better but I would go with what makes you and your wallet happy. When I get back home I intend to place the rear sway bar links in front and go with longer in the rear. Not totally needed but looks better ect. I found the suspension to be pretty stiff at first but it loosened up a little after a few thousand miles. I did add bumpers and winch shortly after which aided in this. Not totally necessary of course. If you plan to run stock bumpers you will get slightly more than 2.5 in which will make the 295s look even smaller of course. After 50 miles or so go back under your jeep and retorque every bolt again. After that I personally check them around oil change for good measure.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Order a set of front sway bar links and throw out those brackets they send in the kit. Have a decent ratchet strap handy, it will help "pull" the axles back in place when you remove the track bar bolts. I ran the AEV kit on my Sahara on stock wheels for what seemed like forever, but I did have spacers so the tires were even with the fenders and didn't look near as bad. You will have to determine what you think looks "funny" on whether you run stock tires for a short time. Take a break if you start to get frustrated, then go back and try again, old age taught me that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Order a set of front sway bar links and throw out those brackets they send in the kit. Have a decent ratchet strap handy, it will help "pull" the axles back in place when you remove the track bar bolts. I ran the AEV kit on my Sahara on stock wheels for what seemed like forever, but I did have spacers so the tires were even with the fenders and didn't look near as bad. You will have to determine what you think looks "funny" on whether you run stock tires for a short time. Take a break if you start to get frustrated, then go back and try again, old age taught me that.
I was wondering about those brackets when I opened the box. Any recommendations on what would be good links to purchase? Should I just get the front or front and rear? I saw where other kits move the rear to the front and replace the rear with one from their specific kit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't get started this weekend, looks like they shipped me everything but the bumpstop kit and I am missing a whole box of brackets. Should be here by Monday. So maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When changing the suspension loosen all of the control arms. When suspension is installed and vehicle is sitting at ride height give it a few shakes. Then go down and torque everything to spec. This will unbind the bushings ect. I added teraflex front track bar. This isn't entirely needed but does center the axle and improve handling. You can ride with the stock tires but personally I think it will look like a roller skate. The 315s will look better but I would go with what makes you and your wallet happy. When I get back home I intend to place the rear sway bar links in front and go with longer in the rear. Not totally needed but looks better ect. I found the suspension to be pretty stiff at first but it loosened up a little after a few thousand miles. I did add bumpers and winch shortly after which aided in this. Not totally necessary of course. If you plan to run stock bumpers you will get slightly more than 2.5 in which will make the 295s look even smaller of course. After 50 miles or so go back under your jeep and retorque every bolt again. After that I personally check them around oil change for good measure.
I have winch bumper, winch, rear tire carrier and rear bumper already installed. They're quite heavy and I was very worried about them sagging the new springs. (3/16 gauge steel bumpers) That was why I was considering 33 over 35. I guess I would have to install the lift with the added weight to see what will fit once it's on the ground.

·
Registered
612 Posts
+1 on the ratchet straps/a couple helpers. Those sway bar end link brackets are both meant to face the same direction btw. I ditched them for the JKS quicker disconnects last night though. I have a bumper/winch on 33s and I think I got a bit more than 2.5" so you'll probably have no trouble fitting all that extra stuff - after all it is an expedition lift

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have winch bumper, winch, rear tire carrier and rear bumper already installed. They're quite heavy and I was very worried about them sagging the new springs. (3/16 gauge steel bumpers) That was why I was considering 33 over 35. I guess I would have to install the lift with the added weight to see what will fit once it's on the ground.
you will have no issue with fitment for 35s I have a heavy arb bumper with winch. There is a slight rake but that's how aev is. Personally I plan to run a 1/2 spacer for my tastes. Really it's up to you from a looks stand point. Though I think with a four door 35s will look much better. Bear in mind aftermarket springs are designed for the load of bumpers ect so their sag is minimal usually. If I had to guess I lost .75 inches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts