Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here but I just picked up an 87 YJ for $400. It came into my shop after sitting for 4 years. It need help but is a good project. The previous owner put a new carb on the 4.2 but an exhaust valve on #5 is stuck open. So tomorrow I am pulling the head to give it a valve job. The body is solid with a few bubbles and one hole in the floor. The frame has a bit of rust at the rear shackles. I plan on treating the rust and welding some patch panels in. It also needs a gas tank and shield. And front brakes, rotors, and all new brake lines. It is my winther project. I already have the hard top sold for some good money. I will get some pics tomorrow when I start tearing it apart. I am pulling the body off the frame. Is there any advice on pulling the body. I guess as long as the bolt break loose I will be ok.

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
well i'm sure they will break but probably not how u think they will. the torque bolts on wranglers are notoriously a pain in the ars. and other then that the tank brand new cost me 130 from carquest, and as far as the frame goes take a hammer to the whole thing. and beat on it and see what u actually have for rust. my guess theirs more their then u think. i had this prob, the big areas to look at are rear shackle's and up front by the steering box. but it sounds like u have the shop space to take care of anything that its going to put u though.and as far as a carb goes did he buy a new carter or did he upgrade to the mc2100 or Weber.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already took a hammer to the frame. The only bad spots are at the rear and the spots are not through. The frame is actually very clean. Just a few patches of flaky rust at the very rear. The carb is a reman stocker. I have a 4bbl intake but not sure if I want to use it. I think I will try the stock intake and carb after I rebuild the head. I think I got to the jeep just in time another year of sitting and there would be serious rust. It is just a few blisters here and there. For me the jeep is going to be a beater/beach truck. I am only going to run a bikini top. I just want to have fun with it. I will post up some pics tomorow when I get it home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
keep us updated, I am undertaking a very similar project. Seems you'll get started on taking the body off before I get a chance to though, so I'll learn from your mistakes :p

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
welcome yj brotha, sounds like you got some work, good luck and post progress.

when you go to pull the body let me know if you have any questions, you can see the progress on my frame off build in my sig.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome and I'll be interested in watching your progress. The bolts to the body are an understatement- be prepared to use 55 gallons of PB Blaster and a torch. OH did I say torch -I mean a flame thrower. Get out your profanity guide book --you may need a few extra #@*#*@ to help you through. Make sure no guns are present and the sledge hammer is far enough away not to temp you-- into beating the jeep into submission.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After tearing the jeep apart today I decided not to remove the body. THe rust isn't that bad. I took a ton of pics and will post them shortly as soon as I find the cable for my camera.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found my cable. Got the pics on Photobucket. Here is is after I removed the top:

Here are the holes in the frame. I used a hammer to open them up as far as they would go.

I removed the side steps and had one small hole on the passenger side and one large hole on the driverside. I also tore into the motor to remove the head. The new carb is a computer delete carb so as soon as I do the nutter mod the computer won't be needed. The motor is sludged, I drained the oil and put about 2 gallons of Kerosene to let the motor soak. I found a rear main seal leak which sucks.

I pulled the windshield to fix the frame it has 3 small holes. My son was learning to drive.

Also the plastic tank is shot. I need everything the tank, shield, straps, and the filler hoses. This is going to be the bigest expence in the whole project. I also found the motor had a felpro head gasket so the motor had been apart before. Next step is the frame, floor, and body repairs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my son pull the spare and all the mounts

Some of the body rot I have to fix:

Interior is in very nice shape:

THe worst part of the body is not the holes it is the dents:

Pile of left over parts, time for a sale:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Started with about the same thing I had a blast with it. Have fun and I'm going to go buy some stock in pb blaster before you start!

·
Registered
369 Posts
being that you are going to have to pull the pan to fix the rear main seal and the heads off u might want to think about pushing out the pistons and ball honing/rering and replacing the bearings

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bearings look new no brass showing. The cylinders have no ridge and cylinders still show the crosshatching. Besides after 2 weeks I have the Jeep about done.

Engine back together with Weber Carb:

I just painted it Saturday:

Ghost Flames:

Here are pics of the body work:

The interior repairs with 3 coats of Herculiner:

It has been a rough 2 weeks but I am impatient to get it done. Tomorrow the windshield goes in. The only things holding me up is the gas tank skid plate, the linkage for the Weber, and performing the nutter mod. I should have it all done this weekend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a few more pics, I turned my dads garage into a paint booth. I just have a little wet sanding to do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are pics of the frame repair. I cut out the bad with a plasma cutter and welded in heavier metal. I am looking for a doner frame to cut the ends off. I figure I have a few years.

·
Registered
717 Posts
wow... nice man you do some good and fast work!!! looks great!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Figured I would update this. Here is it after a rough country lift, tj flares, and a bit more work. I know the rear flares are at an angle but I did not want to cut them to fit so I figured this was the best option.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts