Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Ok everyone, after a ton of time spent researching different suspension and other accessories, I have come to the conclusion that there are way to many choices that I have available.LOL With that aside, I would like to hear some input on my current logic. Since I am completely new to Jeeps and offroading in general, I plan to wheel my new TJ stock with the exception of 31 10.50 bfg at's for now. My reason is that I have no idea what I nor the jeep is capable of at ths point, and adding a lift and bigger tires will only add to my confusion. Now my main question is, should i go more towards protection for the jeep like new bumpers, skid plates, winch, and accessories, then focus on the lift? My reason for asking is that I have read many posts from Dirk at DPG stating that these accessories add a considerable amount of weight to our Jeeps and that the suspension should really be tailored to your specific Jeeps needs. I really think this will be the smarter route for me in the long run, I am just looking for other seasoned veterans opinions.
Thanks for helping the NEWB.
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
for being new to the jeeping world, you've really got the idea. wheel the hell out of your stock tj. it's extremely capable as it is. learn what it and you can do and as your driving skill increases, your trails will get harder and that's where you'll learn exactly what YOU need from your jeep. that being said, bumpers with d-rings will help with recovery in the event you get stuck. and skid plates are a good investment as well at any stage of off-roading.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Jeremy, You are definitely tracking in the right direction. I followed a similar path with my Jeep. I wheeled it stock on 31's for a year. Then I went to a Long Arm and 35's and wheeled it like that for a year. Then I locked up the diff's, added a 4:1, etc.... Each step has put me into different levels of trails and let me take some different lines on trails I've ran before.

Depending on your wheeling I would say for where you live and to keep your drivetrain running as breakage free as possible that just some diff guards and then some rocker protection would do well for you. Not too much weight and they cover some expensive pieces.

·
Registered
164 Posts
KUDO's on having your head on straight. I would wheel it that way for a year and then come back to the modifications because you will have a real world education and time to gain experience.

In the mean while do the protection things first.

1. Rocker protection. Suggest Shrock Sliders. They are the best of all we tested.
2. Steering box skid.
3. Your choice from here. The above two have no protection and need it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
All really good advice, I've seen freinds with big tires and lifts bash the crap outta theyre Jeeps because they have no protection. Nobody wants a broken jeep they can't wheel.... that steering box is really vunerable and pretty inexpensive to cover up...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah man, you are gonna like those All Terrains. They are the perfect tire for what you have planned. One purchase you should make, and Boulder has a point, is a steering box skidplate. They are very inexpensive and easy to install. I would stick with the stock bumpers for now, just remove the plastic crap end caps. After your stock bumpers are beat to crap, then replace them. Just get yourself some tow hooks for now if you don't have them already.

A good first aid kit and a flashlight are invaluable, when needed, and cheap to get. You can make your own first aid kit with some items from the house. Bandaids, gauze, some scissors, alcohol swabs, bug spray, stuff like that. Just keep it in something waterproof.

You also might want to get yourself a tow strap. NO HOOKS. Should be able to pull at least 10000lbs. Remember, a Jeep might weigh 3500lbs, but a Jeep stuck in the mud weighs quite a bit more. ;)

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Oil Pan skid plate of some kind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts