Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1999 hardtop last weekend. It was faded so today I painted it with Kryon Fusion Satin Black. I also painted the inside since it was white. Turned out great and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm hoping the paint holds up against the UV. Has anyone painted theirs and how is it holding up.

BTW it took 7 cans to do both the inside and outside if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I used Krylon on my flares the summer before last. It faded a little bit but still looks better than the gray that is used to be. I'm not sure how much hardtops fade since I don't have one. The rustoleoum bedliner I used on my bumpers seem to be holding up to UV better so the next time I paint my flares I'll use that instead.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i need to paint mine also. did the paint come out even using the rattle cans? Did u ever order your rear glass? if so how was the fit?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I did mine 3 years ago with fusion and it is holding fine. It has faded a little. There is a difference when I went to touch up a spot and it is darker with the new paint. Now my top is only on in the winter.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
i need to paint mine also. did the paint come out even using the rattle cans?
The only area you can see the spray lines is on the top section but no one is seeing up there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, here are the pictures:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i need to paint mine also. did the paint come out even using the rattle cans? Did u ever order your rear glass? if so how was the fit?
No spray lines. I overlapped each by 50% and it turned out good.

I found the glass back in Indiana. My Dad is getting it today and I will bring it over here in April when I return from my travels.

The top cost me $320, rear glass $175 and paint another $50. Spray paint is $8 a can over here. :banghead:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks great. I'm planning on doing mine as well come Spring. Any issues with painting the inside black? I only ask because more than a few people have told me it makes the inside of the jeep like a cave. I'm hoping not because I really like the way yours turned out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great. I'm planning on doing mine as well come Spring. Any issues with painting the inside black? I only ask because more than a few people have told me it makes the inside of the jeep like a cave. I'm hoping not because I really like the way yours turned out.
It's not too dark. My soft top was dark too.

I did it cause inside I already have red, black and tan. Adding white just made it look odd. Now the top matches the floor.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Looks fantastic! :thumb:

Come spring time when the hardtop will be replaced with my beat up softtop I plan of doing the same thing... Quick question. How many cans did it take to do the outside only? I know you said 8 for the whole thing but could you estimate what it was for just the exterior?

Also, did you sand and prep it in anyway, or just mask off the windows and paint? Did you paint the vents too? Just curious since I'm grabbing info for my own plans...

BTW, that top still looks great! I'd love for my faded hardtop to look as good! :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great my LJ top is grey I want to paint it black so thanks for the info.
Mine was gray too. It needed paint.

Looks fantastic! :thumb:

Come spring time when the hardtop will be replaced with my beat up softtop I plan of doing the same thing... Quick question. How many cans did it take to do the outside only? I know you said 8 for the whole thing but could you estimate what it was for just the exterior?

Also, did you sand and prep it in anyway, or just mask off the windows and paint? Did you paint the vents too? Just curious since I'm grabbing info for my own plans...

BTW, that top still looks great! I'd love for my faded hardtop to look as good! :D
I used 4 cans for the outside and 3 inside. Eight cans would be perfect.

I scuffed the surface with a green scotchbrite pad and wiped it clean with acetone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts