Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I'm new to the form but not specifically Jeeps. I ran the old m38;s for 7 years while I was in a NG unit in Cincinnati from 1980-1987.

Was a 19D Scout in the ANG.

Anyway, I just got a stock 1999 TJ and cleaned it up from it's former stressed life.
Some of the things I want to do and need advice on...
Either Rhino line the tub or buy a new factory carpet replacement.
I've been looking at Rubber mats either way. If Rhino line the tub, The rubber mats may help dampen the road noise. Same with the carpet. But carpet may help more? Any other thoughts?

I've already bought an overkill 9000 pound winch to mount to the front, but I was thinking about getting a new bumper (Rock slider) mounting it then welding it so it wont get legs and walk off. Thoughts?

It needs a new top. Currently Tan but I want to change the color to black. Need advice on a well made, less than $350 top. Saw a Barricade on Extreme Terrain. Diamond Cloth, with half door skins and tinted for $339.00 Thoughts?

As a start on the seats. They are in "OK" shape. No major tears except the drivers side on the vinyl about 2" long. The seat section is cloth. So I'm thinking on getting Bestop black denim covers. Front and rear from Amazon for $180.00. They seem to have a real tight fit. Thoughts?

Finally, When I start off in gear (2wd), I hear a tick. Same tick when I put the breaks on. When I put it in 4WH it seems to engage and run fine. However, in 4WL It fights to roll. Almost as if the breaks are on. Rolling straight ahead. Turning the wheel, it fights harder. I know about the plowing of tires in 4WL. But this is more than what my Z71 does and when I try to dis-engage from 4WL to 2WD it wont disengage until I put it in reverse and back up a few feet. Then all the hard turning and wheel skipping stops and it goes back to normal driving. Again, Thoughts?

Anyway, good to be a new member. Looking for a lot of help from the experts here.
Thanks in advance!
Jeff

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Hey folks,
I'm new to the form but not specifically Jeeps. I ran the old m38;s for 7 years while I was in a NG unit in Cincinnati from 1980-1987.

Was a 19D Scout in the ANG.

Anyway, I just got a stock 1999 TJ and cleaned it up from it's former stressed life.
Some of the things I want to do and need advice on...
Either Rhino line the tub or buy a new factory carpet replacement.
I've been looking at Rubber mats either way. If Rhino line the tub, The rubber mats may help dampen the road noise. Same with the carpet. But carpet may help more? Any other thoughts?

I've already bought an overkill 9000 pound winch to mount to the front, but I was thinking about getting a new bumper (Rock slider) mounting it then welding it so it wont get legs and walk off. Thoughts?

It needs a new top. Currently Tan but I want to change the color to black. Need advice on a well made, less than $350 top. Saw a Barricade on Extreme Terrain. Diamond Cloth, with half door skins and tinted for $339.00 Thoughts?

As a start on the seats. They are in "OK" shape. No major tears except the drivers side on the vinyl about 2" long. The seat section is cloth. So I'm thinking on getting Bestop black denim covers. Front and rear from Amazon for $180.00. They seem to have a real tight fit. Thoughts?

Finally, When I start off in gear (2wd), I hear a tick. Same tick when I put the breaks on. When I put it in 4WH it seems to engage and run fine. However, in 4WL It fights to roll. Almost as if the breaks are on. Rolling straight ahead. Turning the wheel, it fights harder. I know about the plowing of tires in 4WL. But this is more than what my Z71 does and when I try to dis-engage from 4WL to 2WD it wont disengage until I put it in reverse and back up a few feet. Then all the hard turning and wheel skipping stops and it goes back to normal driving. Again, Thoughts?

Anyway, good to be a new member. Looking for a lot of help from the experts here.
Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! Post up some pictures!

A lot of people Rhino line there tubs and get some sound deadening out of it. You could also roll some sound deadening material on the tub before you do the Rhino liner. I think rubber mats without the carpet would slide around. Rubber on carpet with the hooks that most mats come with will help with that.

I wouldn't weld the bumper on. You'll most likely want to remove it at one point or another. You'd be better served with red locktite. At least you can heat up the bolts and remove it instead of grinding every time.

A lot of people have been really happy with the Barricade Replacement Soft Tops. Let me know if you're interested in a quote!

I wonder if someone installed a locker of some sort or regeared one diff and not the other. Check the diff fluids and transfer case fluid. Jack up the Jeep and turn one tire at a time in 2wd, 4hi and 4lo to see what other tires turn. That'll give you some idea of what you have. If you crack open the diffs you can could the teeth and make sure they're the same ratio, or count tire/drive shaft rotations. Good Luck!

-Ryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts