Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been around the forum for a while. I became a member in March of 2007 after buying a 2005 TJ. I built that TJ to my likings then ended up selling it. Regretted the hell out of that decision, so I bought my '93 YJ. Fell in absolute love with that Jeep. Hate the headlights, love the Jeep. :) I've been building my YJ for a couple years now and I've had a bunch of help along the way with members of WF...specifically you YJ guys. Well...I just bought a 2009 Rubicon. I still have my YJ...it's a family member for life. So...I've been spending a little time over in the JK side of WF. I can't believe the difference in mindset from the YJ forum and the JK forum. These are the differences I've seen so far: JK forum: "who would you recommend for bumper/lift/etc. installation?" YJ forum: "look what I installed on my YJ today!!!" JK forum: "where do I find Plasti-Dip for my stock wheels?" YJ forum: "just installed my Cragar Soft 8s today. Planning on doing the DIY beadlocks!" JK forum: "got my kickass stereo professionally installed today! I'm pushing 6 million decibels now!" YJ forum: "took my stereo out today and replaced it with a locker switch panel" JK forum: "how come no one waves at me?" YJ forum: "enough with the wave threads already" JK forum: "my JKU is way better than your JK because it has more wheelbase" YJ forum: "unless you drive a Renegade, we've got lots of love for all YJs!" JK forum: "how do I make my JK look badass?" YJ forum: "how do I make my YJ perform like a badass?" JK forum: "I took my JK offroading today...through the alley behind the mall!" YJ forum: "Pics of my Rubicon Trail trip" Ok...I could go on and on about how soft the JK crowd is. It's disheartening, actually. But at least I can still come here and share my YJ enthusiasm with a bunch of real Jeepers.

Anyway, here is the TJ right before I sold it. When I bought it in Victorville, CA, it was bone stock. I did every single mod BY MYSELF. I'm proud of that.

image-2662817700.jpg

And here's my beloved YJ. Again, I've done every mod to this Jeep BY MYSELF.

image-3836287465.jpg

And here's my JKR...

image-1156384830.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
All of those are bad ass jeeps! Headlights don't make a jeep. Round vs Square is stupid. Everyone bitching that square lights aren't true to the Jeep name are the same peeps going out buying 4 door jeeps. Somebody explain to me how a squared headlight jeep isn't a "true" jeep but a 4 door jeep with electric windows and door locks is! They're all jeeps! We'll except for the Liberty's. We all know those are not jeeps. Haha.

·
Registered
511 Posts
All of those are bad ass jeeps! Headlights don't make a jeep. Round vs Square is stupid. Everyone bitching that square lights aren't true to the Jeep name are the same peeps going out buying 4 door jeeps. Somebody explain to me how a squared headlight jeep isn't a "true" jeep but a 4 door jeep with electric windows and door locks is! They're all jeeps! We'll except for the Liberty's. We all know those are not jeeps. Haha.
Oh yeah , jk is the new generation soccer mom mobile
Agreed! Also, your TJ is a mean looking rig, and your YJ follows suit :thumb: The JK looks pretty nice too!

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I miss my TJ every day, but it got to the point where I couldn't drive it every day. It performed really well offroad, but its onroad manners were definitely lacking. I'd built the streetability right out of it. When I got my YJ, I knew how I wanted to build it. I wanted a good offroader while still being fully streetable. I'd bought a big, plush, 4-door Ram Big Horn 4x4 Hemi pickup just before I bought my YJ and guess which one I drove every day? That poor pickup only got driven if I had to haul something (not very often) or if I had to take the wife and dog on a roadtrip (we usually took her SUV). I think in the 2.5 years that I had that pickup, I only put about 7,000 miles on it. Needless to say, I preferred to drive my rough, drafty, loud, dented, faded red Jeep to work. It's funny...I'm a commercial charter pilot/flight instructor, and I'm parking that 20+ year old rough, drafty, loud, dented, faded red Jeep next to BMWs, Acuras, Escalades, etc. I know it puts the fear of God into the other pilots when I park right next to their $60k+ vehicle.

Anyways...I couldn't justify having that big Ram just sitting around, so I traded it for my new (to me) JK.
While the JK is plush, it doesn't feel like a Jeep when I'm driving it. I'm planning on changing that to a small extent. My YJ is still my go-to Jeep when I look in my driveway. It elicits an unconditional love. I can easily look past the puddles of water on the front floor after a rain, the bone-jarring bounce every time I drive over a crack in the road, the constant marking of her territory with oil, even the hit to the wallet every time I put gas in her.

The hardtop is coming off the YJ today. Then the safari top goes on until November. I'm going to have one happy dog later today!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good looking rigs Cave. Don't listen to idiots that think JKs aren't real jeeps. Just because they are semi plush and almost comfortable does not make them any less capable. I just left a jeep jamboree that had some tricked out JKs that would probably crawl over the hood of some of these clowns.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Accidental post

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very well said. I got my first Jeep - a YJ a month or so ago and am doing everything myself and with the help of my 2 boys and my brother in law. This is a family affair and a great bonding experience. I am glad to have a strong YJ base to start and the forum has been invaluable to the project!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Excellent post Cave Diver! I say get whatever Jeep you want with the comforts you want. However, there is something special about the YJ - even for all of it's shortcomings its just plain old fun to drive.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My 91 is my first jeep. I've done everything on it myself, except for the exhaust, and I had help from a neighbor with the rear brakes because I'd never done drum brakes before. But everything else was done by my son and I:

Shocks
Differential fluids
Trans fluid
T/C fluid
Rear output shaft seal and bushing
Tune-up
Steering shaft
Track bars removal
Fuel pump and sending unit
Fuel tank skid and straps

It's all minor stuff, but I saved hundreds by doing it myself and learned a lot. My 15 year old son did most of the reassembly when we changed the output shaft seal and bushing. He's learning too. I told him if he expects to drive it, he's going to have to learn to fix it.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great post CaveDiver and Thanks! Also, have you noticed that the JK crew are more likely to be smartasses and less likely to be helpful?
Absolutely. They get into fights about whether Orange Crush is a better color than Anvil. And don't even get me started on the 2-door/4-door battles. For MOST of the JKers over on the JK forum, they're significantly more interested in cosmetic and sound system upgrades than offroad performance upgrades. It's like I'm surrounded by junior-high kids when I visit the JK forum. It's disheartening. There are a few who actually "get it" over there, but for the most part it's all about show instead of go.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Funny story, I'm a Jeep guy but older ones YJ or TJ, so I'm building mine at work in between jobs bustin ass to complete it because I'm OCD and I like things done right and first time, anyway my boss just bought one of those 2014 Just Kidding jeeps and he sees me working on mine all the time putting love and sweat into my beauty and he says to me, "I just got my jeep and I want you to install my lift kit for me" and I say umm hello!! Aren't you a master tech as well!? Lol! He laughed and said "I don't know anything about that aftermarket stuff" so I laughed again and said if you are a car guy and a tech there is nothing you can't do!! But I'll do it (you know brownie points) lol! My point is most JK owners have no clue on how to do anything except put gas in it.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny story, I'm a Jeep guy but older ones YJ or TJ, so I'm building mine at work in between jobs bustin ass to complete it because I'm OCD and I like things done right and first time, anyway my boss just bought one of those 2014 Just Kidding jeeps and he sees me working on mine all the time putting love and sweat into my beauty and he says to me, "I just got my jeep and I want you to install my lift kit for me" and I say umm hello!! Aren't you a master tech as well!? Lol! He laughed and said "I don't know anything about that aftermarket stuff" so I laughed again and said if you are a car guy and a tech there is nothing you can't do!! But I'll do it (you know brownie points) lol! My point is most JK owners have no clue on how to do anything except put gas in it.
So absolutely true. I'm fearful that the future of the "Jeeper" is up to us to continue, because the vast majority of those guys will probably sell their JKs within a couple years and buy Mustangs...hahaha.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I miss my CJ5 and my CJ7 some days. Guess I am showing my age. Been a jeep owner longer than most on this forum have been old enough to drive. My point is that JKs are not all mall crawlers. If you know how to rig them and more importantly, how to drive them... They are very capable.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Great post CaveDiver and Thanks! Also, have you noticed that the JK crew are more likely to be smartasses and less likely to be helpful?
Actually, I find it to be quite the opposite. JK owners tend to welcome everyone and are nice to everyone - they just like others who like Jeeps without trying to tell others what a Jeep owner "should" be. They may tease each other about color or models, but its nothing like the hate we get from the TJ/YJ/CJ crowd.

Insert soccer mom insult here
Insert 4 door is not a Jeep insult here
Insert JK owners should not be in Jeeps, they should only drive Grand Cherokees insult here
Insert JKs are too "plastic/big/soft" insult here.
Insert JK owners never work on their own rides insult here. ( I don't anymore. Not because I cant, but because the money is easier to come by than the time for me)

The funny thing is I have been a Jeep fans since the mid 80s. A fair portion of my adult life was spent in FL. Jeeps (like the Islander) were a staple and they had NOTHING to do with rock crawling. It was about a convertible that could go on the beach - so it meant light bright skittles colors and no mods except maybe a stereo. But I guess those people in the YJs and TJs back then were not "real" jeepers either.

Here is the real test. As a JK owner (my second) I am cool with you disagreeing with me. I am cool with you even hating my Jeep. I don't feel the need to say you don't fit MY idea of how YOU should be. You drive a Jeep and that is all I care about - its enough for me. I don't need to insult you to make my way better.

Can you say the same?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't think it is limited to Jeep folks, I've seen it with Mustangs, RX7s, RX8s, Miatas, Subbies etc. Some people just have the "mine is the BEST, and ONLY version of this vehicle platform that is valid" attitude. My older brother wouldn't wave at "factory Jeeps", because they aren't real Jeeps or some such BS. I forget exactly his justification. Hell, I've seen it with people who drive manuals versus automatics. Some folks just have to be superior to others in whatever way they can think of that differentiates them. This same phenomenon leads to gangs and armies.

People are weird like that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts