Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
While I had sirius activated it often cut out , even under big sky with no obstructions. Took into dealer and wasted an hour of my life while they reset my account. The antenna really needs to be exposed.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I agree^^^^^ I ran a car audio shop for just about 10 years.(moved on recently.) Satellite antennas work best when they are exposed, period. Gps antennas will work in dashboards. This has to do with the number of satellites. There are only a few for satellite radio so there is far less coverage than Gps (which has many). So I have no idea what jeep was thinking. I would also speculate that those of you who have the antenna over the radio also have a Nav radio? It's more than likely your Gps antenna. However I haven't been in the dash of a jeep newer than 2010

·
Registered
48 Posts
Funny - I was just noting how the satellite radio in my 2011 Sahara has better reception (less if any cutting out under overpasses) than any other Sirius/Xm stock units I have. All the others have the little short antennas or the pad without a stick antenna, and they all cut out for longer periods under the same overpasses where the Sahara barely if at all cuts out!
So that got me thinking they use the long wrapped stick on the passenger side of the cowling...
But if it's on the roll bar I would think it would be as bad or worse than the others since I have a hardtop over it, and if it was on the dash, well, not sure how it could be better than the others that are all on the roofs...
So the mystery continues (but I won't be looking a gift horse in the mouth!)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Satellite antenna "sees through" non metallic/non conducting surfaces just fine. I was skeptical when I first got my Jeep, but the reception has been just as good in my Jeep as it was/is in my other cars (which have externally mounted antennas).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Mine didn't work any differently with the top off either - worked great in cities with terrestrial repeaters, I may re-activate my sirius at some point and see if the XM merger helped as XM uses different SAT's - there's still at most only 2 SAT's over the US transmitting at 2.3GHz so the atmosphere can play a large roll in the signal landing on earth. I don't know what the threshold is for a SAT receiver but the perfect conditions, clear day, directly overhead signal strength is -50 to -55dBm. Most receivers in this freq have a threshold of -70 to -79 dBm - fabric and plastic will reduce signal but i would think there should be plenty left to stay within the threshold! All that pontificating and I really believe its the quality of the ASIC and down converting process thats going to make the difference! Kinda fun going on and no one can interrupt!

·
Registered
569 Posts
The one in my wife's 2011 Liberty and the one in my 2012 Rubicon work better than the one i had in the 2007 Sahara :thumb:. It even works better than the portable Delphi unit i had in my RAM truck. I think i read somewhere that they have a buffer in them now, much like a CD player has, so the music keeps streaming....but i could be mistaken. I lose it occasionally, but not near as often as i did in the previous ones. Oh yeah, I'm driving the same roads and in the areas where i lost it, it continues to play.

cass

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Mine cuts in and out just going down the road with trees overhead. Hey, I live in redwood country, there are a few tall trees out here!

I've sat in a clear area for maybe 15 minutes with Sirius on to allow it to buffer all it could. Still starts cutting out as soon as I get into the trees. Maybe it works well in the mall parking lot, but I don't think I'll be needing it for that.

Constant cutting out all the time makes it worse than useless, it's down right annoying! I wouldn't pay ten cents for it!

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I upgraded to my Jeep from an '05 Hyundai Elantra GT. I had installed the Sirius antenna in the center of my dashboard up against the windshield. (looked factory)

It gave about the same performance, generally working well but susceptible to drop-outs in some areas, so when my Jeep's radio started doing it in the same places I wrote it off to the antenna being hidden somewhere.

The little bit of extra "stuff" cuts the signal down just a little, but IMO it's a worthy trade off for it being out of harm's way.

·
Registered
569 Posts
interesting, mine works so much better than previous models. course, i don't have any high rise buildings around but i do have forested areas i have to go through and where it used to cut out, it continues playing.:confused:

cass

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
tcass said:
interesting, mine works so much better than previous models. course, i don't have any high rise buildings around but i do have forested areas i have to go through and where it used to cut out, it continues playing.:confused:

cass
Buffering in radio/sat tuner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts