Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Bought a pair of used JW Speaker 8700J Evolution LED headlights a week ago. Installed them onto my 2015 JKU and both worked fine right at install. Parked the Jeep in the garage and went away for a week. Came back tonight and went to run errands and neither would turn on. I drove to do my errands using only the fogs and about 6-7 minutes of driving, the passenger side flickered a few times, and then came on for good another mile down the road. Driver side still out. SO, I pulled into my driveway and let the Jeep run for 20 more minutes and now both lights are working again. I read about half of the 66-page JW thread but it's way more off-track than helpful. I searched other threads and haven't yet found guidance for this.

Anybody have an idea why they wouldn't turn on until the Jeep ran a while, and what the solution might be to keep this from happening again?

Ultimately, recognizing that they are used, I hope I didn't get screwed.

Thanks in advance!
Bern

·
Registered
31 Posts
Might want to check the connections, I was having issues as well and ended up using wire connector cleaner and haven't had a issue yet. Especially with third party headlights the connections isn't as tight as stock ones, there particulars can always get in between the connectors.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Might want to check the connections, I was having issues as well and ended up using wire connector cleaner and haven't had a issue yet. Especially with third party headlights the connections isn't as tight as stock ones, there particulars can always get in between the connectors.
X2 on the connectors - one of mine stopped working and the connector had come slightly loose - a zip/cable tie around the plug to hold it tight and trouble free ever since

Reactions: bernjku

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure you have anti vibration relays plugged in line .They convert the 12 volt signal into a steady constant electric charge that LED lights need . Regular OEM lights don't require that kind of power.
Also don't let the relay dangle or wiggle ' .I had the same trouble and zip tied them to the frame . Problem solved

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Make sure you have anti vibration relays plugged in line .They convert the 12 volt signal into a steady constant electric charge that LED lights need . Regular OEM lights don't require that kind of power.
Also don't let the relay dangle or wiggle ' .I had the same trouble and zip tied them to the frame . Problem solved
What are these "Anti Vibration Relays" you speak of?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I also have J Spec lights that I zip tied to keep on and now that is no longer working. I plan to switch driver over to passenger to see if it is the light or the connector. Where do you find wire connector cleaner? And is there anything else that could help this issue aside from cutting the connector out and soldering directly and voiding the warranty?

Nick

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Took it all apart. Hit the male and female connectors with electric plug/wire connector cleaner and then put dielectric grease onto both male and female ends, reconnected, and zip tied the connectors tight. Put it all back together,and it worked... for five minutes. Then the passenger side went out. While troubleshooting, I unbolted the lights while still plugged in and wiggled the connectors. They seem fine. Wiggled the wires at the base of the JW housing and that's where the lights flicker on and off (both lights surprisingly). Pressed down and they go on, but moved upward and they go off. So, my short term solution has been to zip tie things so that the wires go downward from the housing and to ensure that nothing bounces around on them. But long term, is there a fix or do I have to just buy new headlights? And I have the same question as Duramaxxed - what are these anti vibration relays?

·
Registered
941 Posts
he probably ment antiflicker relay/harness. and yup looks like you need some new headlights unless you wana see if a fourm sponser will goodwill warrenty a set out for you

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have J Spec lights that I zip tied to keep on and now that is no longer working. I plan to switch driver over to passenger to see if it is the light or the connector. Where do you find wire connector cleaner? And is there anything else that could help this issue aside from cutting the connector out and soldering directly and voiding the warranty?

Nick
I bought it at Advanced Auto for ten bucks. Spray it in, let it go. It dissolves quick. If there's a lot of grime follow up with q-tip. I also sprayed it onto a plug and onto the socket (not sure if air should have) in my detached garage gym for a fan I run out there that I have to wrestle out of the socket every time I close up. Now, smooth plugging in and out :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts