Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How long did yours last? I was on my way home tonight and I thought I saw my lights get dimmer. Tried the brights... work great. I got home and looked at them on the garage door. The brights work, but the low beam on the driver's side is out.

I'll look at it in the morning to see if it's a plug issue, but I doubt it is. I figure if the brights work, the low beams should also.

Two years. I checked it in Amazon. I ordered them in May '18.

·
Premium Member
6,739 Posts
I'll look at it in the morning to see if it's a plug issue, but I doubt it is. I figure if the brights work, the low beams should also.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Swap the headlights. If the same headlight is still out on the low beam, it is the light and not the wiring. You should then contact the manufacturer if still under warranty.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
That sucks, just like JW's warranty sucks.
Hope you have better luck than i did.
I would not spend another dime with those huckleberry's

·
Registered
406 Posts
Swap the headlights. If the same headlight is still out on the low beam, it is the light and not the wiring. You should then contact the manufacturer if still under warranty.
JW is really picky on who you purchase from and they are not a fan of Amazon. A warranty claim requires you go through the authorized dealer you purchased from to start the claim (per JW).

·
Super Moderator
14,874 Posts
Good luck... JW Speaker warranty claims are not easy. Sore subject around here.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This could turn out well...I mean, except for the part where it failed in the first place.

I wrote the company that supplied the headlights through Amazon. There is an option on Amazon's website to contact the seller directly about your product. Seemed like the thing to do.

Within a couple of hours I had a response from the seller.. Essentially, they agree that my description of the problem indicates it is likely the headlight itself. When it gets dark outside, I'll need to take photos of the Jeep with the failed low beam, and one of the high beams working and send it to them. They will supply me with a single lens replacement.

I hope it all works as well, and quickly, as their email indicated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
To answer your first question, I’ve had mine for 5 years now. No issues yet. I wish the heating element was available when I bought mine, the only downside I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the light they give. Now that I'm in Missouri instead of Georgia, I can see the advantage of a heat element but I haven't needed it yet. I sent the requested photos to the dealer last night. Hopefully, my warranty claim will be handled swiftly. I've already been stopped by the cops once for having a headlight out (an uneventful stop. I explained the issue...no ticket), and I'd rather not do it again.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some more troubleshooting. There is an intermittent connection in the driver's side headlight connector.

While swapping the headlights this afternoon to take more pictures for the dealer, I discovered that the likely problem is an intermittent connector on the driver's side. Swapping the headlights the first time got both headlights working again on the low beam. I swapped them back to the original positions and, in reconnecting them, I noticed that the driver's side would cut in and out depending on how I held the connectors. So...I swapped them back again. It was the same issue with the original passenger headlight installed in the driver's side...still intermittent depending on how I held the connectors. That eliminates the JW Speaker headlight and harness as the problem.

Right now, both low beams and high beams work on both headlights. (at the moment, the headlights are swapped from their original positions when this problem began). I'm going to order some new connectors for both sides of the Jeep and replace them. I hate driving around with an intermittent problem. You never know when it'll jump up and bite you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
5 years here. ~At year 1, had issues with one (it would not always come on). Called Amazon and they replaced it - no issues since.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I did some more troubleshooting. There is an intermittent connection in the driver's side headlight connector.

While swapping the headlights this afternoon to take more pictures for the dealer, I discovered that the likely problem is an intermittent connector on the driver's side. Swapping the headlights the first time got both headlights working again on the low beam. I swapped them back to the original positions and, in reconnecting them, I noticed that the driver's side would cut in and out depending on how I held the connectors. So...I swapped them back again. It was the same issue with the original passenger headlight installed in the driver's side...still intermittent depending on how I held the connectors. That eliminates the JW Speaker headlight and harness as the problem.

Right now, both low beams and high beams work on both headlights. (at the moment, the headlights are swapped from their original positions when this problem began). I'm going to order some new connectors for both sides of the Jeep and replace them. I hate driving around with an intermittent problem. You never know when it'll jump up and bite you.
FWIW, when I first installed the ProComp LED headlights (which I am very happy with, actually), the red locking tab for the factory connector on the passenger side broke off, so I had to zip tie the connector to get it to hold. That has worked just fine. The driver's side connector seemed fine, so I just used it as is. However, after a couple of weeks, the driver's side headlight began to get intermittent and flicker. Manually pushing the connector together solved that, so I eventually pulled the grille back off and pulled the headlight out to be able to get at the connector more easily. I first tried zip tying the driver's side connector, but it was still intermittent, so I eventually had to super glue some spacers onto the "shoulders" of the headlight side of the connector to be able to get enough pressure from the zip ties to make good contact. I hope that makes sense. It has been about a week now, and this seems to have solved my issues. Both headlights are working great now.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
4 years on my JW's, no issues. I did have their tail lights and one went out. I purchased through 4wd parts and they sent me a new set after I sent the bad ones (glad I had the stock lights still). I've read JW won't honor amazon purchases because of potential issues with knock off products.

Glad it's just the connector, that's an easier fix than something internal. One of my lights flickered a few times and I put di-electric grease in the connector and that fixed it. They've been underwater more times than I care to admit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts