Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this thing released recently for motorcycles ---- and it makes great sense. Motorcycles get sideways and the rider can't see where he's going, right? The headlight activates more LEDs as the headlight gets sideways.

Genius.

But then I says to myself, I says, don't we Jeepers also get sideways on occasion? Hmmmm? Wouldn't these headlights be just as cool on a Jeep when it's dark/nasty and the trail turns all kettywumpus on us?

What do you think. I'm going to show this thread to their R&D folk.

Product: Adaptive LED Headlights - Model 8790 Adaptive Series

Nifty video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCVr51VCTT0

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Functionality: A/B who knows?
Appearance: F-

Those look hideous IMO. I'd never put them on my bike unless they were free!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Would be nice if they had the horizontal adaptive feature like luxury cars have.
I thought a lot of manufacturers went away from that because they decided it wasn't needed or people didn't get the point of the extra money. I like it when I drove a vehicle that had them. I could be totally wrong tho.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Functionality: A/B who knows?
Appearance: F-

Those look hideous IMO. I'd never put them on my bike unless they were free!
What kind of bike do you have?

I would have loved them on a few of my bikes.
I had a Concours and the headlight sucked! One measly rectangle.
My last two Goldwings had quad H7 Koito lighting and that was fantastic.
And my early CB, GS, & KZ all had a single 7" round ---- could've used this thing.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
What kind of bike do you have?

I would have loved them on a few of my bikes.
I had a Concours and the headlight sucked! One measly rectangle.
My last two Goldwings had quad H7 Koito lighting and that was fantastic.
And my early CB, GS, & KZ all had a single 7" round ---- could've used this thing.
Harley Davidson Sportster. It just reminds me of an bug eye with everything it has going on, it sort of doesn't flow with the timeless look of a Harley but I have yet to see a good static picture of one on a Harley. I could be mistaken if I saw one in action on a bike I rode. JW Speaker should send me one and make a believer! But also my bike doesn't fit the 7" it takes the 5 3/4" headlight. EDIT: I did see it comes in the smaller size as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The price on these is what kills me...$799.95! For one headlight. I'd love something like this on my Harley...but at that price, I think not.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'd love to test one on my Harley but I know that will never happen. One can dream though!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I thought a lot of manufacturers went away from that because they decided it wasn't needed or people didn't get the point of the extra money. I like it when I drove a vehicle that had them. I could be totally wrong tho.
No, I think many manufacturers still use them. Here is a demo of the Tesla Model X adaptive headlights. Starts at 10:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzzmWCXvcU

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to test one on my Harley but I know that will never happen. One can dream though!
Well, you can hope. You're a nice guy, fit the demographic, and they'll be reading this...

I really really don't care as much about how a headlight looks as much as I care about how it works...
That's why I think they might be pretty cool in a Jeep. Function.
But, as was said, we have supplemental lighting too. But I still think they're cool.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well, you can hope. You're a nice guy, fit the demographic, and they'll be reading this...

I really really don't care as much about how a headlight looks as much as I care about how it works...
That's why I think they might be pretty cool in a Jeep. Function.
But, as was said, we have supplemental lighting too. But I still think they're cool.
This definitely could be a great thing though. A blind spot is one thing when you have a steel cage surrounding you but I have always thought of how the industry could assist the blindspot of a motorcycle. I'm sure we have all been in situations that this feature could have been useful.

I also changed my opinion a little on the appearance because exactly like you said, it's about function and quality. I just want to be a safe rider with safer lighting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2013 VW GLI had adaptive HIDs. Best headlights I've ever had. I always thought the adaptive feature was nice, but I never realized just how nice it was until I traded it in for my JK and couldn't see anything around curves anymore.

I'd be willing to pay a pretty good price to get the same ability in the JK, but it requires a lot more than just headlights to make something like that work (steering wheel angle data, speed data, suspension articulation data (if they're also auto-leveling).

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2013 VW GLI had adaptive HIDs. Best headlights I've ever had. I always thought the adaptive feature was nice, but I never realized just how nice it was until I traded it in for my JK and couldn't see anything around curves anymore.

I had a '07 GLI and felt the same way. Absolutely loved the adaptive HID's in that car.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a MINI with auto-leveling HIDs. Helpful.
Wish the JWS 8700 series had that feature built in. That would be a huge benefit for a vehicle with springy suspension like a motorbike and/or Jeep.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree that they are not the best looking light. And I would be concerned about the light getting "stuck" in a position that is not optimal.

But function over form.

I'd be interesting in seeing how they work in the real world on the jeep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts