Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought my TJ from a friend who installed the K&N filter, which as you can seen is pretty dirty. Do I buy the cleaning kit & clean it or buy a new cone filter that's not a "big name" like K&N?

Also, after changing the fluids, I'm now going to change the plugs and wires (went OEM after much reading on here) tomorrow, but should I go ahead and install a new distributor cap at the same time?

Thanks guys, oh and it's a 97 4.0 5spd with 146k miles...:worthy:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Save your $$ and get rid of the POS K&N. All its doing is letting dust and dirt get into your motor. Either find an OEM air box and go back to a paper filter (best option) of spring for something like the AEM Dri Flow filter with the filter cover.

The K&N is simply not even close to ideal for your rig. Do some google searches and you'll soon be chunking it in the trash......

·
Registered
869 Posts
Vegas34,
Well, I too am not a fan of K & Ns. I've tried them over the years on a few vehicles and, even one of our motor homes. There was absolutely NO, ZERO, NADA, NIET (Russian for no) improvements in any way, shape or form. No gas mileage difference, no performance gains, NOTHING. So, since that was the case, I always went back to the stock air cleaner.

Our present Jeep, an '03 Red Rubi, came with a K & N. When I determine it's time to either be cleaned or changed, it's heading for the big round file in the garage too. There's only been a few zillion lab controlled tests of the K & N and, without fail, the test results are so finite that there's never been a proven reason for purchase and, the ensuing labor for the continued cleaning and re-oiling. No thanks, it's pretty simple to remove and replace, in about a minute.
Scott

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Second question: yes do a distributor cap as well. Make sure the contacts are brass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, K&N going in the sh*tcan today. Will try to find an off brand cone filter until I can get a stock airbox from ebay or these classifieds. I also never thought K&N was worth a darn, the oil cleaning, etc...always seemed like LESS clean air would get through the filter and into the motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey what year did they change to coil packs?
If asking me, I have NO idea.

K&N is now :pcwhack:

Bought an OEM dist. cap and new "cone filter" until I can find a stock airbox somewhere...anyone know where?

Ok, time for new cap, plugs, wires, and filter. Oh, the brand of this cone filter is Spectre. I'm sure it'll work fine until I can get her all the way back to OEM.

BTW the young kid (I'm 42) at AutoZone told me that I "should just get the cleaning kit and use the K&N forever." and that "these filters are boss!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, also I'm curious after doing this today what my MPGs will be. I was at about 14.4 city driving mostly. Again 4.0 5 speed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If asking me, I have NO idea.

K&N is now :pcwhack:

Bought an OEM dist. cap and new "cone filter" until I can find a stock airbox somewhere...anyone know where?

Ok, time for new cap, plugs, wires, and filter. Oh, the brand of this cone filter is Spectre. I'm sure it'll work fine until I can get her all the way back to OEM.

BTW the young kid (I'm 42) at AutoZone told me that I "should just get the cleaning kit and use the K&N forever." and that "these filters are boss!"
You can find them on eBay for around $45 give or take.. i would also drop the k&n and go back to stock.
Some of the people working at autozone don't know anything about cars unfortunately.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, about to remove the plugs. I've changed spark plugs in other vehicles quite a few times, but always like to watch a YTube video if available first. In this video, the guy removes a "fuel rail" that's held in by 4 bolts. Since my TJ is the oldest possible (1997) does mine not have that fuel rail or is it missing? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g452zUAXDU

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its not a fuel rail in this video, its a coil pack rail, the spark plug boots are attached to it,
I too am curious to see if your 97 jeep has a distributor or coil packs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are pics of what's going in, the little rail thing I removed that keeps the wires lined up, and a shot of the engine bay, showing plugs, distributor, etc...

So I can just swap them out? Easy peezy right? Keeping exact track of which wire goes where obviously? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes, just remove the wires one at a time and then find the right length one to replace it.

You can label them as to which cylinder to keep them straight on the distributor.

Did you buy a new rotor to go inside the distributor as well?

A little anti-seize on the plugs will make removal easier next time.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Also, you may want to check the inside of the air intake tube and the throttle body to see how much dirt the K&N let in since you are in the desert. Clean the throttle body if dirty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, will do...and no on the rotor, I guess I should have bought that too? Had an issue come up at the house, so haven't done the work yet.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Ok, will do...and no on the rotor, I guess I should have bought that too?
Yes, the rotor is as important as the distributor cap is.

And if you have a choice, go with one that has brass contacts. Cheaper distributor caps and rotors use aluminum which wears faster.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts