Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i was looking under the hood the other day and i noticed my open air filter had black spots all over and and had mud on it =\

so instead of paying $20 for cleaner id rather either replace the filter or upgrade it!
I attached a pic of my air filter so if anyone could tell me the model number? i cant find it.

or if anyone has any suggestions of an better filter! i don't wana replace the whole intake just the filter!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
GO back to OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
everyone seems to believe the oem one is the best. k&n are generally the worst on any car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
everyone seems to believe the oem one is the best. k&n are generally the worst on any car.
WELLLLL i really dont wana start this whole debate about K&N filters again cuz thats what happened last time! =P

all i wana know is what is an upgraded filter to the one i am running now or where i can get a replacement one for what im already running cuz i cant find which model number mine is

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Trust me on this... as cool as K&N's advertisements make their air filters sound, they are actually not a good air filter at all. I used to run one and I was amazed how much dirt and crap it was allowing past it. The inside of my air intake tube and throttle body both became grimy and gritty feeling within a few months of installing mine, I was frigging shocked and angry.

It took placing not one, but TWO prefilters over the top of it before the air intake and throttle body started staying fairly clean. The below photo shows what was on my old '97 TJ that was stolen in March. The '04 Rubicon I bought as a replacement came with an air intake that was very similar to yours. I sold it (it was an Airaid) then reinstalled a stock air intake box and AC-Delco paper element air filter and I couldn't be happier. Engine performs exactly the same too since unlike some other air intake systems, the TJ's air intake is well known to be totally non-restrictive.

Here's my old K&N that now does nothing but occupy space on a shelf in my garage. I have partially pulled back the pre-filters (an Outerwears and a foam Unifilter) so you can see them.

By the way, I have a ton of ISO test data that places the K&N at the bottom of all air filters tested so far as its ability to actually filter the frigging air. Pretty sad for a company that advertises their air filters as much as K&N does.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me on this... as cool as K&N's advertisements make their air filters sound, they are actually not a good air filter at all. I used to run one and I was amazed how much dirt and crap it was allowing past it. The inside of my air intake tube and throttle body both became grimy and gritty feeling within a few months of installing mine, I was frigging shocked and angry.

It took placing not one, but TWO prefilters over the top of it before the air intake and throttle body started staying fairly clean. The below photo shows what was on my old '97 TJ that was stolen in March. The '04 Rubicon I bought as a replacement came with an air intake that was very similar to yours. I sold it (it was an Airaid) then reinstalled a stock air intake box and AC-Delco paper element air filter and I couldn't be happier. Engine performs exactly the same too since unlike some other air intake systems, the TJ's air intake is well known to be totally non-restrictive.

Here's my old K&N that now does nothing but occupy space on a shelf in my garage. I have partially pulled back the pre-filters (an Outerwears and a foam Unifilter) so you can see them.

By the way, I have a ton of ISO test data that places the K&N at the bottom of all air filters tested so far as its ability to actually filter the frigging air. Pretty sad for a company that advertises their air filters as much as K&N does.
so pretty much i should get a different type of filter? would it still fit on the tube i have right now? because i dont want to replace the whole thing just the filter

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you're going to want to read this:
FAQ - Cold Air Intake - JeepForum.com
ahhhhhhh

okay peopleeee we already had this debate!!! http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/k-and-n-cold-air-intake-59152.html

I know K&N's are the best i know they let it a ton of dirt but i got the whole intake system for FREEEEEEEEE i didnt do it cuz i thought id gain 7 Hp! cuz i know it wont do that and even if it did theres really no difference.

nooowwwwww can anyone actually answer my question?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahah okay now people dont respond =(

lameee

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
everyone is answering your question. you just dont like the answer.

jeep intake

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
since no one will actually answer your question i will lol all you need is a cone filter, go to advance auto/autozone something of that nature, look through the air filters to find one that fits, doesnt have to be the same model number or anything, just as long as it fits, there are more brands than k&n if your worried about that ((i had a k&n box filter on my 03 cavalier and loved it never had a problem with dirt getting past and had it on there for 2 years before getting my jeep but anyways)) so find another brand that is a cone filter that fits on it..

·
Registered
419 Posts
hmm well i guess if u want to keep the same set up but go to something better then the filter u have.... i doubt they make it but u would want to go back to a paper filter instead of one that is basically cheese cloth. I wont lie... I have a stock air box with a K&N Filter. The filter is fine for street driving IMO but man is my throttle body DIRTY after i ride a trail.

So if a paper conical filter that is the same size doesn't exist and u don't want some prefilters if ur not gonna change the whole setup

·
Registered
314 Posts
You could take the K&N down to an auto parts store and just start opening air filter boxes and comparing them. Most likely you'll find a similar sized/design paper filter that you could clamp onto your intake tube. I've spent a good 20 minutes or more in the past just opening and looking at filters. They didn't seem to mind.

If you're set on a replacement K&N filter it will cost more than the cleaner kit. A similar style paper element as the K&N filter will also cost close to the amount of the cleaner kit. $15 or so.

But going back to stock or a set-up like UnlimitedLJ04 (and me) has would be better. With a sealed up airbox mud and water splashes aren't an issue.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrangler06 said:
since no one will actually answer your question i will lol all you need is a cone filter, go to advance auto/autozone something of that nature, look through the air filters to find one that fits, doesnt have to be the same model number or anything, just as long as it fits, there are more brands than k&n if your worried about that ((i had a k&n box filter on my 03 cavalier and loved it never had a problem with dirt getting past and had it on there for 2 years before getting my jeep but anyways)) so find another brand that is a cone filter that fits on it..
Thank you sir!!

And I didn't mind Anyone elses answers it was just that I already knew that and agree when I get back home I'm completely changing my air into to a box filter

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
x2 wrangleryYJnewb

·
Banned
139 Posts
If you had any sense at all, you would head over to the boneyard and pull an OEM filter setup and junk that K&N.

I suspect you intentionally tore out the stock filter unit and box and wasted about $75 bucks for that thing. You got ripped off. The stock pipe and filter are oversized and easiliy deliver just as much air as any K&N, but is much quieter and more efficient at actually filtering out grit. K&N's are about as efficient at filtering out dirt as your average screen door.

I sure hope you learn something at college; I've got two degrees on ya already, kid. If nothing else, learning how to learn will be your greatest asset.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Actually, if the filter has some dirt and mud on it, it is filtering better than it did new. Have you looked down your TB? Clean it up as needed and after you have some time on the new filter check it again. I'll be curious to know if changing filters really helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you had any sense at all, you would head over to the boneyard and pull an OEM filter setup and junk that K&N.

I suspect you intentionally tore out the stock filter unit and box and wasted about $75 bucks for that thing. You got ripped off. The stock pipe and filter are oversized and easiliy deliver just as much air as any K&N, but is much quieter and more efficient at actually filtering out grit. K&N's are about as efficient at filtering out dirt as your average screen door.

I sure hope you learn something at college; I've got two degrees on ya already, kid. If nothing else, learning how to learn will be your greatest asset.
if u read the whole thread u would notice that that has been said over and over again :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts