Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1993 Jeep Wrangler yj off a buddy at work and im thinking of going with rough county's 6" suspension kit for $999 and then getting a new cv axle and slip yoke eleminater kit. after that i think its time for some chrome pro comp rims and some 35" tsl thornbird tires.

What do you think about that or got any better ideas

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
6" lift is gonna ride like crap, i got one word for you kidneybuster. look into sprin over set up if you want that much lift. rides better than stock if done right, and performs better off road the sprin under lifts also.

oh yeah, welcome, and nice heep.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the jeep...

Now Since you asked:

6" to tall..
thronbirds... would be my last pick, unless of course you plan to make it a show jeep, then that might work well
with the 35's your rear axle is not strong enough in its stock form to to handle that big of a tire.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
ahh, i misread some of this. 35's are too big to wheel that jeep very hard with those stock axles. 33's would be fine. soa and 33's is a great set up.

why does everyone hate thornbirds??? i had a set a long time ago, and they did awesome on the trail and rocks. way better than the bfg mud terrains.

i really want to know why people don't like them, cuz i'm thinking about going with them again, unless there's a real reason not to. tough, bias ply, and i got great traction with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think im gonna just go with the 2.5" inch rough country lift and the thornbird or swamper 31's so i can keep my stock setup im not tryin to climb a mountain but i do like to play in the mud a bit lol

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
dont really wanna swap out housings for new stronger gears
why do you think you have to do that?
The issue is more likely to be higher numerical gear ratios, that can be done to some level with the existing housings, but depending on your stock gears, those big heavy 35's will be hard to turn.

The strength issue will come into play later, if you do much hard off roading, but you may be able to get away w/ simple ratio swap if all you plan to do is trail riding type stuff.

Welcome, and it looks like you are off to a good start w/ your new addiction, I mean, hobby!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
addiction is right lol im ready to get another one. so what gear ratios do you think I should go with and where to buy them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts