Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My signature was getting pretty full, so I figured it's time to just start a build thread.

I custom ordered my Jeep from the fine people at Koon's Jeep in Tysons Corner Virginia in September 2014 and picked my Jeep up on October 16, 2014. I have been in love with it ever since, and can't imagine a life without a Jeep!

I ended up joining the Army a month later, and then deploying this year--so I haven't been able to spend as much time with it as I would like, and no summer months yet. When I get back, it's game on and you'll see another load of parts and updates.

I plan on adding a supercharger to make highway driving a little easier, re-gearing, swapping the seats out with some Corbeaus, and finishing the outside with some ACE Fenders and their new Night Runner rock sliders, among other things.

Without further ado, I present Kahlee, my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in Anvil with 6MT, hard top package, connectivity package, and Alpine speaker upgrade:

Day I picked her up:

First modifications I made were a set of ACE Engineering JK Rock Sliders and a pair of KC HiLiTES C3 LED Flood Lights mounted to the A-pillar.

I then threw on a set of Spider Trax Wheel Spacers. I think they were 1.5", and they gave me JUST a bit of poke.

With all the time I was spending running around doorless, I had to get some mirrors. I remedied this situation with a set of Quadratec Replacement Mirrors and Die Tech Brackets. The brackets are superb quality, heavy duty, and function exactly as you would expect. This is a pricier solution than cheap bolt on safari mirrors, but I highly recommend this one.

Next item on the list was an ACE Engineering Stubby Bumper w/ Bull Bar. Item was packaged well, and showed up in great condition. It was very easy to install, and went right on without any cutting or grinding. Didn't need any extra hardware to move the canister down and out of the way either. It immediately transformed the look of my Jeep. I had also installed the Mopar Black Jeep emblem around that time too, as well as some American Flag decals on the cowls, in Black.

So while I was gone at basic training, I saved up a little scratch and finally made some progress into the build. I purchased a Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex kit with Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shock, and a matching Fox steering stabilizer. I also scored an amazing deal on BF Goodrich KO2's in 35x12.50, so those made the cut as well. I had a family friend who has been installing lift kits on Jeeps for 15 years do the install, but I don't have any pictures of the actual installation. I also had Firestone perform the Lifetime Alignment. It was expensive, but you can get your vehicle aligned as often as you want for no additional fee--I've already used this and its for the life of the vehicle, or as long as you own it! Definitely worth looking into if you have one nearby.
RK 2.5 Flex on stock Rubicon tires:

No lift vs. 35's:

RK 2.5 w/ 35's:

The front two windows were tinted while I was gone as well. I don't know the %, but I'm guessing 15. It matches the rest of the glass.

This is the result of the suspension upgrade:

It rubbed a little in the rear, and flexed so much in the front that I flipped the swaybar and broke the end links. Lesson learned, but it was only a $23 fix.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Christmas came and she was graced with new shoes. KMC XD-Series 122 Enduros in 17x9, matte black. Love these wheels and I have only seen them on one other Jeep. I opted for black hex spline lug nuts too. I only went with four, as I had another plan for the tailgate.

I decided I wanted a little more rumble out of Kahlee and also wanted to tuck the exhaust in preparation for trail riding. Settled on the Flowmaster American Thunder series and have never regretted it for a second. It is loud, but I don't mine (neither does the wife or kid). I actually got a lot of compliments on it at Jeep Beach Daytona 2016.

Next up were some LED headlights and tail lights. I ordered the Quadratec Stealth Headlights and my loving wife scored a set of Rugged Ridge LED Smoked tail lights for me. They have a 5 year warranty and look OEM, so they were a sure thing!

I'll eventually change the turn signals to LED, but they weren't a priority at the time.

The rear end finally all came together at once. Had been waiting on some ACE Engineering parts to get released/made, but they came through and were worth the wait! I chose an ACE Halfback Bumper and an ACE GateKeeper. Finished off the GateKeeper with a RotoPaX 2 Gallon Fuel and Water pack, and a Hi-Lift All Cast 60" jack with the trimmings. Both ace pieces installed very easily. I did have the cut down the vent on the tailgate to make it work, but you can just remove it without any ill effect if you prefer. There was no going back for me, so I didn't mind trimming the lip. It was very easy to use T splices to connect the LED license plate light, and it comes on just like the stock one would. The Halfback accommodated my already installed Quadratec hitch with no issues.

I added an Under the Sun Inserts Black Out grille insert as well.

Then I finally fixed my switch for my Flood Lights and my courtesy light. I ordered OTRATTW switches and I mounted them both in a Rugged Ridge A-Pillar pod.

Before I deployed, I decided to take the family down to Disney, and then enjoy some Jeep time Beach Jeep Daytona. It was a blast. Had her cleaned up and given the royal treatment before the trip.

Finally got to go NAKED!

I only have this one photo from Jeep Beach, but at least its an action shot. You can also see the Spider Web Shade the I installed, but you can not see the Quadratec tonneau cover. I think the tonneau really cleaned up the name look, and it kept my cargo out of the way of prying eyes.

So, this is where I left off...a photo of my wife as she drives away in my Jeep. I miss them both very much, but thanks to the ARMY they'll both be getting special treatments when I return.

I've already got a small pile waiting at home, consisting of Currie Enterprises differential covers for the front and rear, and ACE Inner fenders. I'll be throwing on a supercharger of some kind, rehearing to either 4.56 or 4.88, and the seats for sure. Also planning for Mopar BBK and ACE Fenders and new rock sliders. Currie Antilock Sway bars are on the agenda as well. A winch is somewhere on the list too.

Well thanks for looking, and happy Jeep'in.

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
Looking good:thumb:

-Steven

·
Registered
353 Posts
Did you have to make any modifications to the American Thunder exhaust after getting a lift on it? Im interested in it but I'm kinda hesitant on having to make modifications.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback.

Did you have to make any modifications to the American Thunder exhaust after getting a lift on it? Im interested in it but I'm kinda hesitant on having to make modifications.
I put this on after the lift, with the vehicle on the ground. I didn't have to make any modifications. I did take off the rear swaybar to make life a little easier. If it was in the air, I might have gotten the parts together a little tighter, and it wouldn't be so close to the rear frame--still not a big deal; I don't get buzzing or anything.

I love the exhaust though; it sounds perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just wanted to say I've enjoyed watching your build. Thanks for your service to our nation and the sacrifice your family and you have made to do so.

Current build: 2016 JKUHR "Dragon Lady"~JWS Evo J headlights ~ Maximus-3 Stinger ~ Banks Ram Air ~ AFE Mach Force Cat Back
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to say I've enjoyed watching your build. Thanks for your service to our nation and the sacrifice your family and you have made to do so.
Thank you--I appreciate the kind words!

So, a bit of an update: I talked to a bunch of fellow Jeepers and some tradespeople--I decided to hold off on the supercharger for now. With rare exception, most advice was to regear first. And since I was going to have a shop do that, I decided to save a bunch of labor and have them do some other work as well. I'm sleeving, gusseting, and trussing (F/R), and having some other parts installed. And well since I was going to do that I decided to jump to 37's and then upgrade pretty much everything under the frame that hadn't been swapped out already.

In the pile:
G2 Truss F/R
Nitro Sleeves
Ace Gussets
Teraflex LCA Skids F/R
Teraflex HD Ball Joints
Ten Factory Chromoly Axle Kit F/R
Yukon 4.88 Ring & Pinion w/ master overhaul kit F/R
Currie Differential covers F/R
Adams Drive Shafts 1310's w/ Solid Spicers F/R
Teraflex BBK Front custom Cerakoted flat red
Teraflex Big Rotor Rear w/ new caliper custom Cerakoted flat red
EBC Greenstuff 6000 brake pads F/R
Crown Performance custom brake lines in smoke
Nitro Ridge Grapplers 37x12.50r17
HyLine Offroad Louvered Hood Panel

On my Black Friday/To buy list:
SS YETI Extreme Duty Tie Rod Assembly
SS YETI JK Heavy Duty Draglink
Fox ATS
Fox Adjustable Remote Reservoirs
MCE Gen II Fenders
Flashpaq F5 Programer (MAYBE Traildash)
JCR Crusader Rear Trail Doors
Quadratec Q9500is Stealth Winch
Factor 55 Splicer

I think that list pretty well addresses all the issues that are associated with upgrading to 37's. I'm not interested in hydro steering at this time, thought if I find it would be beneficial I might revisit it. Once I get all this in, I'll revisit the supercharger since the build will be mostly complete.

Also, those new Falcon shocks look promising, so who knows--I might go for those over the Fox's.

Thanks to all for checking my build out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cant wait for the Falcons to come out.
Btw make sure you get the Fox ATS 1.625 clamp.
BTW Teraflex has a Falcon ATS coming out too.
Yeah...I guess I couldn't wait either, haha. I got an AMAZING deal on the Fox Adjustable Remote Reservoirs and an ATS last night. And you bet I got the 1.625 clamp! Now I'm onto my steering--contacting vendors for quote on SS YETI tie Rod and Drag Link. Might have to wait a day or two for my CC to cool off.

@kjeeper10 Is there anything you see missing from my preparations for 37's? Or anything you would recommend? I know a lot of people would have gone with a whole upgraded 44 vs reinforcing a stock one, but I personally couldn't justify it.

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
This is looking great! Looks like you're putting in all the right pieces to run the 37's. I love the look of the Nitto's, let us know what you think of them after a few miles. I'll keep an eye on this, keep up the great work:thumb:

-Steven

·
Registered
215 Posts
Great Build so far!! The "in the pile" parts list makes me jealous haha, thank you for your service to our great nation and the sacrifices made to do so.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I appreciate you guys going out of your way to say something nice about my build.

I ordered the last of the upgrade parts today--the YETI Tie Rod and Drag Link. Next up is the winch. I got distracted by the new Rigid Industries Side Shooters--the flood with work GREAT as a backup light, and I've wanted to replace the flood lights up front with spots for some time now, so I'm looking for a good deal on those. I decided to get an SPOD, and will probably throw on some rock lights while I'm at it.

Also have to find a new beach house for Jeep Beach Daytona '17--the guy I originally arranged to rent from has been very slow to respond to email, unreachable by phone, and his listing is off of the rental site. :( So, on to find a replacement.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well...Black Friday came early thanks to my excellent SA over at Northridge 4x4.

Ordered the new EVO Mfg. Chromoly Sport Cage and Unlimited Rear bar, an SPod SE/w 8 switches in red and the BlueTooth module, Rigid Industries Side Shooters (2 Spots for the front, and 1 flood for the rear), and the Off Road Only LiteSpot Chassis kit. Also trading out my MCE Gen II fenders for their new narrow version.

Also on the lookout for a Warn VR10-S, as I didn't even ask about that one.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Well...Black Friday came early thanks to my excellent SA over at Northridge 4x4. Ordered the new EVO Mfg. Chromoly Sport Cage and Unlimited Rear bar, an SPod SE/w 8 switches in red and the BlueTooth module, Rigid Industries Side Shooters (2 Spots for the front, and 1 flood for the rear), and the Off Road Only LiteSpot Chassis kit. Also trading out my MCE Gen II fenders for their new narrow version. Also on the lookout for a Warn VR10-S, as I didn't even ask about that one.
Wow cant wait to see the cage install

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@kjeeper Me either. There's not much about it out there, other than Instagram photos. Jeep goes into the shop next Friday for install of all the weld on's and internal driveline stuffs. I'll be pulling all nighters when I finally hit paternity leave--all day with the family, all night with a new born and a pile of Jeep parts. I think I have to install the sPOD before the cage though, lol.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts