Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests ...

First off, while using the hard top, I love my KMS Pro rack, it's a beautiful piece of kit; however...

Swapped roofs last weekend. Went to re -attach my Cargo Master Pro roof rack but it won't re-install with the soft top.

The problem seems to be that the rails sit on the middle bow of the soft top and 1) presses too hard on the fabric and bow, so 2) the rails won't sit level and therefore I can't refasten them. They're attached to the highest possible position on the rear bumper but it doesn't help.

Before purchasing them, I phoned my local supplier and inquired if they would fit with soft top, they said "yes". Then, just to make double sure I phoned KMS directly to ask same question, they replied "yes". So far KMS has not replied to my emails which makes me irate. (just got an email, apparently they are aware of problem now and are going to ship me a spacer fix)

Anyone out there using the Pro series with a soft top? Am I missing something obvious?

Sorry about the sideways pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was going to suggest getting some 1/2 to 1 inch thick spacers for the rear mounts but it appears the manufacturer has beat me to it. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one with issues. Same problem with the rails hitting the cross bow on the top. KM finally agreed to send me some spacers - 1" I think - which moved it off the top. I'm using the rear mounting brackets since I don't have the stock bumper.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Can you guys post pictures of the spacers please

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty unimpressed with KMS about this. Sending me 1" spacers to "fix" a $1000 plus system is pretty crappy. Especially when I was assured that there wouldn't be a problem with the soft top in the first place.

How does a mostly Jeep specific company fail so badly?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They sent it raw so it had to be painted.
Awesome, thank you for the visual. I know they were putting the finishing touches on a bracket for AEV rear bumpers. Hopefully they'll take this issue into account.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Spacers would be a homemade fix. I would expect the manufacturer to send a redesigned stronger rear bumper bracket to correct their original design flaw. Sounds like they really cheeped out on your 1000 dollar rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty unimpressed with KMS about this. Sending me 1" spacers to "fix" a $1000 plus system is pretty crappy. Especially when I was assured that there wouldn't be a problem with the soft top in the first place.

How does a mostly Jeep specific company fail so badly?

I agree completely. At first they wouldn't believe me that it was hitting and they thought I had an aftermarket top. I read somewhere else that they sent out different top rails with more bend to raise it from the front.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kargo Master Safari Rack

I ordered one a while back. The top rails were hitting the bows on my soft top really hard, my son-in-law made some spacers for the rear bracket and the rails still hit the bows.
Notified Kargo Master and they made me two new top rails that clear the bows. I told them in a video that this is a design flaw, the top bend in the front is not high enough before it bends to the rear of the jeep. Its fine for a hard top but not a soft top.
This was a months ago. Surprised they are not making rails for just the soft top JKU's with the higher bend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpIpTMzChQU

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update for my problem.

Even with the spacers that KMS sent me, now that the soft top has stretched out with the weather, it still hits the rails. I'm very disappointed with KMS. I've emailed them about my problem, but I doubt I'll get any satisfaction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update for my problem.

Even with the spacers that KMS sent me, now that the soft top has stretched out with the weather, it still hits the rails. I'm very disappointed with KMS. I've emailed them about my problem, but I doubt I'll get any satisfaction.
I've also reached out to them to see if they will correct their design flaw and send a new set of rails like they sent patd4u. But I'm just as optimistic as you are about having a real solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I reached out directly to Quadratec and KMS to find out if the Congo Pro Roof Rack fits the JKU OEM Soft Top.

The response from Quadratec:
Hello,
You asked the following question regarding the product "Kargo Master 55000 Congo Pro Rack for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door"
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_1000_07.htm
Your Question:
Do the Kargo Master Pro Roof Rails touch and/or rub the Factory Soft Top? What is the clearance from the Factory Soft Top Bow Supports to the Pro Roof Rack Rails? From the photo it looks as if the Pro Rack might be in contact with the fabric which could lead to wear and eventually holes in the soft top.

Our Answer:
Hello. The angle on the pictures make it look closer than it really is. I do not have an exact measurement but there is plenty of clearance. Thank you

And the reply from KMS:
Hello,

As of the moment our Pro Rack systems front to back rails do in fact rest on the soft top spreader bars. For the moment this is not the route I would recommend. Due to your exact thoughts. It will down the road end up creating a hole in the fabric of some sort. That is something I am sure you are not willing to deal with.
Our Spreader Bars that we are creating as a fix to this issue is still in revision and I do not have a solid production date for ETA.

There is another route for us to go though.
We have our Congo Sport system, which has slightly lower load ratings than the pro. Is the same quality steel, and is compatible with all our of EZ access products and accessories. This system also has a quick release to easily tilt the system back for removal of the hard top or soft top without having to completely remove the rack system from the vehicle.

If you’d like some more information or have any questions about my recommendation. Please feel free to reach out to me. I’d be happy to assist.

Best,

Nathan Solano
1-800-343-7486
Kargo Master Safari

So as of this posting, KMS is aware of the fitting issue and the potential for damage to the OEM Soft Top. And the support guys at Quadratec should probably call their suppliers and get educated on the products they sell before pissing all of their customers off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sazerzac - thanks for the info. Hopefully they will make right for those of us that have already purchased the rack. I'm still waiting on a reply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts