Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the quality if the Katzkin leather compared to the factory leathers? I have heated seats and wondering if the Katzkin leather could be used with the factory heated seats?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You want cat skin on your seats? There are a few strays around my neighborhood. Slip $20 under my door, and I'll take care of it.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
How is the quality if the Katzkin leather compared to the factory leathers? I have heated seats and wondering if the Katzkin leather could be used with the factory heated seats?
Softer (at least on the black leather i just installed) and yes.

T

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Katzkin leather is far superior to the JK leather. Yes, Katzkin can be installed over existing heated seats.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Katzkin is a softer leather and it doesn't feel/look like plastic. You can also customize the look of your seats. They are about twice as much as the factory option, but worth it to me. I always thought the factory leather looked too shiny and I didn't want brown seats in my black interior.

I purchased a 2012 Deep Cherry Crystal Pearl JKU Rubicon with cloth seats and added the factory heated seats option. I then had custom Katzkin installed and I could still use my heated seats. If you don't have heated seats, Katzkin can add them and even add lumbar support if you want it. This is what my Katzkin seats look like after the black factory cloth was removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks good but I see a few wrinkles. My Katzkins have no wrinkles. Installer went over the seats with heat gun until all was smooth.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So I take it when you look at the katzkin website you order 2010 model seats? I don't see a 2011 option. And I certainly don't see a multi-color seat option like above, that looks really good (wrinkles or not, they're meant to be sat on anyways...)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Looks good but I see a few wrinkles. My Katzkins have no wrinkles. Installer went over the seats with heat gun until all was smooth.
The backseat has some wrinkles because I took out the granddaughter's car seat to take the pictures. The child seat was belted in pretty tight and left some wrinkles behind when I removed it. I didn't have wrinkles before I put the child safety seat in. They should go away after a bit of time.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Glad to hear that cause wrinkles in leather could have turned some off on the Katzkins.

I would not just go by the Katzkins website cause you can get any color combo from the color selector added to your jeep.
I went with black outside and camel inside with camel stiching.
The pic is before installation.
Black exterior black camel interior looks really nice.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
jrohan07 said:
Glad to hear that cause wrinkles in leather could have turned some off on the Katzkins.

I would not just go by the Katzkins website cause you can get any color combo from the color selector added to your jeep.
I went with black outside and camel inside with camel stiching.
The pic is before installation.
Black exterior black camel interior looks really nice.
Does the factory clothe need to be removed? Stupid ? I know but...

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
So I take it when you look at the katzkin website you order 2010 model seats? I don't see a 2011 option. And I certainly don't see a multi-color seat option like above, that looks really good (wrinkles or not, they're meant to be sat on anyways...)
You can call katzkin 800-842-0590 and find the nearest katzkin installer. Your local Jeep dealer will use the same installer, so you can either go through the dealer or go directly to the installer. You can order online and probably save some money, but I'm not sure if the 2010 seat is the same pattern as the 2011 or 2012. I contacted the local katzkin installer to get the configuration that I wanted and then took the information to the dealer to get it purchased and installed. Prior to me getting this done, the dealership has only installed single color seats, with no extra options/upgrades. They took some photos of my seats to show future customers that come into the dealer because they didn't realize something other than one color of leather was possible. I had lumbar support also added to both front seats.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Anyone order the Tuscany leather option from Katzkin ? Does anyone konw the difference between the regular leather and the Tuscany leather other than it's more expensive and according to their website , Tuscany is a "softer" leather ?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I almost got the tuscany in ameratta as my black BMW has that color leather and it looks fantastic for 1200 one color. Opted for 2 tone black camel for 998

·
Registered
257 Posts
Katzkin is a softer leather and it doesn't feel/look like plastic. You can also customize the look of your seats. They are about twice as much as the factory option, but worth it to me. I always thought the factory leather looked too shiny and I didn't want brown seats in my black interior.

I purchased a 2012 Deep Cherry Crystal Pearl JKU Rubicon with cloth seats and added the factory heated seats option. I then had custom Katzkin installed and I could still use my heated seats. If you don't have heated seats, Katzkin can add them and even add lumbar support if you want it. This is what my Katzkin seats look like after the black factory cloth was removed.
Great use of the color to highlight the exterior. Nice job!

Do you mind indicating what the cost to do that including install?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Great use of the color to highlight the exterior. Nice job!

Do you mind indicating what the cost to do that including install?
The cost was $1800 with installation. That price included both leather color combinations (black and medium red), the JEEP stitching at the top of both front seats and electric controlled lumbar support for both front seats. The price would have been a lot less if I hadn't done the lumbar support. I think the price was about $1200 without the lumbar. My wife has a bad back and I'm not getting any younger, so I wanted the lumbar. The Jeep leather option from the factory was going to cost me $900, so paying twice as much for better quality leather, customized colors, and lumbar support was worth it for me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the Tuscany is a better leather grain but the swatches felt an looked the same.
I visited the installation center in Denver (which is about four blocks from my residence) and the manager recommended against the Tuscany stating that it was less durable than the standard. He said this was the grade in the King Ranch package of pick-ups (Ford?) and that there were numerous complaints of rips/tears/etc from rivets on jeans.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts