Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strongly considering some Katzkin leather seat covers for my new JKU. I think the red stitching on black leather would look pretty sweet in my Jeep.

One question about installation though...

Do the seats have to come out to complete the install, or can they stay in place?

I've searched around, and I understand that the factory cloth has to be removed, but not sure if the entire seat(s) need to be removed.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
If the factory cloth has to be removed, then yes they have to come out. You have to be able to access the bottom edge of the back and have good access under the seat pan.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Yep they need to come out. But in all honesty they where easy it get out. I did it with hand tools and had zero problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, they come out. I installed into my 2002 WRX Katzkin full leather fronts and leather inserts in the rear. They held up perfectly until I sold the car in 2016. I would recommend them again.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Even if you could do it with the seats in place, the job would be so much easier with them out that you would want to kick yourself for leaving them in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty then. Sounds good. Thanks for all the help, guys. Will make the necessary preparations.

Planning to add the Katzkins and either a Raxiom or Pioneer 8100 head unit.

Those will be my first mods.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Alrighty then. Sounds good. Thanks for all the help, guys. Will make the necessary preparations.

Planning to add the Katzkins and either a Raxiom or Pioneer 8100 head unit.

Those will be my first mods.
Sounds great, Good Luck! Don't have "TEXAS" embroidered on them please.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure if the Jeep is like this, but had a GMC Sierra that I put Katzkins on. The battery had to be disconnected and let the vehicle sit for about 30 minutes prior to disconnecting the seat sensor cables. Otherwise, the air bags could deploy. This applied to both the driver and the passenger front seats. Then, after installation, the dealer had to resync the sensors due to the leather being stiffer than the fabric, and possibly preventing proper deployment of the air bags in a collision.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if the Jeep is like this, but had a GMC Sierra that I put Katzkins on. The battery had to be disconnected and let the vehicle sit for about 30 minutes prior to disconnecting the seat sensor cables. Otherwise, the air bags could deploy. This applied to both the driver and the passenger front seats. Then, after installation, the dealer had to resync the sensors due to the leather being stiffer than the fabric, and possibly preventing proper deployment of the air bags in a collision.
Whoa! Hadn't heard anything about that. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is necessary for a JKU?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Whoa! Hadn't heard anything about that. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is necessary for a JKU?
When I did my install I disconnected the battery to be safe. I started with the rear bench so I can't confirm the 30 minutes or not. After I was finished I connected the battery back up and everything seemed good to go. Didn't bother having the dealer look at anything.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You time travel?

Yes, they come out. I installed into my 2002 WRX Katzkin full leather fronts and leather inserts in the rear. They held up perfectly until I sold the car in 2016. I would recommend them again.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts