Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for strapping 2 kayaks to my JK hardtop with out a roof rack, if this is even possible?

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I did it a few times. Used some pool noodles between the yaks and the top and strapped them down from the ends to the bumpers.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
Possible, sure. Straps through the rear doors and across the top is possible. Some kind of barrier between the kayaks and the roof so it doesnt get scratched.

But in reality, a reasonably priced gutter style roof rack would be a far better and more secure option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for strapping 2 kayaks to my JK hardtop with out a roof rack, if this is even possible?
Pics Below. Routinely do 75 mph on long road trips. Run every strap through the front and back door (the cushion straps thru the door, then straps across kayaks through the door also). Front and back secured well as back up. Very secure if done right. Pull tight. Only problem is rain comes wicks down the straps and can soak seats so be aware. Only way the kayaks are coming off is if rips entire roof and roll cage off lol. Tie down at front and back for additional security.

If putting two kayaks on top will need pool noodle or extra cushions like the pic.
2FDBBEDC-101A-4AAE-A999-1979D27EA35F.jpeg
486AB8AE-1F6B-4C51-993C-6A32C236C1E8.jpeg

Been running this set up for couple of years.

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
Pics Below. Routinely do 75 mph on long road trips. Run every strap through the front and back door (the cushion straps thru the door, then straps across kayaks through the door also). Front and back secured well as back up. Very secure if done right. Pull tight. Only problem is rain comes wicks down the straps and can soak seats so be aware. Only way the kayaks are coming off is if rips entire roof and roll cage off lol. Tie down at front and back for additional security.

If putting two kayaks on top will need pool noodle or extra cushions like the pic. View attachment 4508579 View attachment 4508580

Been running this set up for couple of years.
View attachment 4508580 View attachment 4508579
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Spameater12003

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have done what Spameater 120003 says but with canoes. With Canoes use pool noodles - cut long ways and put over gunnels to keep them from touching vehicle. Use the straps as he describes/ shows pictures of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts