Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Was thinking about purchasing a 10ft kayak this summer. My 2-door (soft top) JK is my only transportation. Was wondering if when the top was down, if I could transport it by putting the seats down and hanging it out over the tailgate? I'll only need to drive 1-2 miles max. Is this a stupid idea? Would rather ask now before I purchase something...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm wondering if Securing the end hanging out will be the challenge, I'd think you have just as much, if not more, unsupported weight than supported. You could make some extension off the receiver hitch, if you have one. My old neighbor had one to support long ladders the went well past truck bed.
That's great you've got such a short trip though.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Many ppl put it on top of roll bars w top down.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled some pics off Google images and it looks like it can be strapped to the roll bars. I now just wonder, will I be able to life it up on top by myself? Lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Out the window would be a challenge if you have a spare tire. As far as lifting it, depends on how heavy it is. I have a 2 person kayak that weighs ~ 96 lbs. It is a bear to get it on a rack on my F350. I have a canoe that is a bit bigger, but only weighs ~ 56 lbs. The wife can load it by herself.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok good to know. The one I was thinking about weighs 58lbs

·
Registered
217 Posts
both of these jeeps are/were mine... i have transported my kayaks by securing them to the roll bar, by putting it thru the rear window (with temp tags still on!) and also by buying a fancy expensive roof rack system.
dont do the roof rack system... it was the hardest to load and left paint chips. never again!
[URL=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/BooDie1821/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1535.jpg.html]
[URL=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/BooDie1821/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1359.jpg.html][IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/BooDie1821/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1359.jpg[/URL]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. To hafaday and boodie, were you able to lift those up on top by yourself without any issue? Also, are those just ratchstraps?...or what's the best strap to use (and how much will I need?).

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Thanks everyone. To hafaday and boodie, were you able to lift those up on top by yourself without any issue? Also, are those just ratchstraps?...or what's the best strap to use (and how much will I need?).

Yes, no problem. I'm 5'9" and sat it up on top with no problem. I did buy one of those cheesy foam kits that comes with the straps ($15-20. Maybe).

After getting the yak on the top. I then slid the foam on top of the windshield area and on top of the roll bar. Didnt want any rubbing.

The front ratchet strap just went over the yak and to the footman loop at the top of the windshield ( a little tension to hold it) The rear went over the yak, under the roll bar, then back over the yak. With a little more tension on it.

This is the foam thingy. Ends are 3". Middle cut out 2 1/4". Approx 23" long

I used my own straps. 15 footers and way to long.

Hope it helps.
Bill

Sent from Space using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
217 Posts
instead of buying one of those kits go to walmart and buy a pool noodle for $1, cut it in half and put it on the top of your windshield... rest the kayak on the noodle.

i personally like the Thule locking straps. they are reinforced with steel and have a key lock. i like them for when i leave my boat on top of the jeep for a bite to eat or whatever else. a little piece of mind.

i was always able to lift my 'yak onto the roll bar by myself no problem. However, it was much harder when i was using the cradle and roof rack, just had to lift too high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts