Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 TJ that I want to put a kayak rack on. I have looked at several options (Lange, Smittybily,...) and have read several reviews. All I hear about is increased noise level and decreased gas mileage.

I am hauling 2 9.5 foot Perception kayaks. Anyone have a recommendation on the best option?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hardtop? I went to a salvage yard and got a luggage rack off an s-10 blazer. Had to shorten it but it works great.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I would recommend Gobi but it's a hefty $1600 price tag. However, they have a hell of a product and great customer service. The rack is also designed to accommodate for whatever aerodynamics our toasters have to help with fuel economy, holds 300 lbs moving/800 lb static, and just about any Yakima or other cargo brand accessories are compatible with Gobi. Also, it's entirely bolt on. I'm getting a fishing kayak soon and intend to make good use of my Gobi for it:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was really happy with my Top Five rack when I was running it. It was stainless and aluminum, fairly light and easy to work with the soft top. They don't make them any more but if I needed another one I would search far and wide for a used one..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got a Kargo Master Congo Cage just recently. I haven't put kayaks on it yet but the thing is sturdy as hell and I got it for $350. I would suggest a good wind fairing like the Garvin one I put on to cut down the wind noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts