Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2002 wrangler sport wired for factory foglights but dont have fogs.... I bought a pair or KC daylighters (100watt) and am wondering the different possible ways to make them work. First, I can buy a wiring harness and have the 100 watt lights....second though I was thinking if I could buy 55 watt H3 bulbs(install them in the KC daylighter 100wat housing) and run the factory wires to make the KC's work at a lower wattage? Will this in theory work?? Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It'll work just fine. The 55 watts are easier on the factory wiring and should just plug in. Wont be as Bright as the 100s but way less work.
Most of the time a good set of 55 watters will do the trick. If you want to get closer to 100 watters use a set of h3 intense white by Piaa. They give the equivalent to 100 but only use 55 or so. Something to do with using a brighter burning gas in the bulbs. That way you can have the brightness of the 100s and only the draw of 55s. Its how Ive done mine and it works great

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
If you go higher than factory you should use relays or else you will overheat the junk factory wiring and have a big meltdown. Wired properly you can use factory wiring to trigger the relays to power high powered lights. I have 130w headlights and 100w driving lights all through relays.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wondering the EXACT same thing!! I got my jeep,wired,no lights...I think I'll try the factory to the relay thing myself!!! I love this site. You guys are the BEST! It's like having a support group for our JEEP obsession....:D:wavey:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Here is the diagram to follow. Just use the power wire from the factory switch to terminal 85.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,419 Posts
55 watts is all you need for true fog lights. If you really want driving lights, you will need to wire them up as is shown in the above diagram. A relay is a must for driving lights. :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If your TJ is factory wired for fog lights it should already be wired thru a relay in the Fuse box under the hood. Mine was. BUT that being said, Mine was built in Canada and they do some things differently up herre because our laws are different. Daytime running lights for example, so fog lites might be wired differently too.
But the factory wiring is pretty light so I wasn't comfortable putting high waat bulbs in so I went with the Piaas at the same wattage for higher output.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think thats what Im going to go with- the PIAA bulbs 55watt. I cant find them for less then $60/pair though!! ouch.... Where are the best prices for these?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
60 bucks a pair may seem a bit steep but they are a premium bulb. You might find them online cheaper but make sure they are original Pia and not knockoffs. Most knockoff will draw a lot more power and heat up the wiring etc.
Up her in Canada I sell Piaas for well ove 120 bucks a pair. I usually discount them to 100 and people are buying them like crazy. They are an expensive bulb but they are all I`ll run. I`ve put them in every vehicle Ive owned and love them. They are a great upgrade to go with if you do an H4 conversion to your headlights.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If your TJ is factory wired for fog lights it should already be wired thru a relay in the Fuse box under the hood. Mine was. BUT that being said, Mine was built in Canada and they do some things differently up herre because our laws are different. Daytime running lights for example, so fog lites might be wired differently too.
But the factory wiring is pretty light so I wasn't comfortable putting high waat bulbs in so I went with the Piaas at the same wattage for higher output.
They should all be wired through a relay. The factory wiring will handle 100w no problem. The relay or fuse would be the weak link. I haven't checked the power rating on either, but I would THINK that it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,419 Posts
I think thats what Im going to go with- the PIAA bulbs 55watt. I cant find them for less then $60/pair though!! ouch.... Where are the best prices for these?
Personally, I would just install the 100W lights you have and connect them using a simple to install pre-wired wiring harness which already has the required relay wired in. Such wiring kits are available at nearly any store that carries such lights. All the major light manufacturers make them.... KC, PIAA, Hella, etc.. Not to mention this would cost less than a pair of replacement 55 watt bulbs would.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I guess thats what makes this place what it is.. We all have different ways of doing things and I guess it all come down to personal preferance. If you do decide to go with wiring them in yourself and using the 100 watt KC bulbs, that diagram that was posted earlier is one of the better ones Ive seen. some diagrams ya get are ridiculous. And make sure you use the aprropriate guage wiring

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does anyone have pictures of the PIAA lights illuminated at night? I would like to see these before purchasing, thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,419 Posts
Do you need a picture showing they work? Showing them lit up in a photo isn't going to show anything other than they do indeed light up. :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I agree with Jerry. Piaa come in a few different varietys. The Extreme white are good but will give off a "dirty"light because of the blue tinge. The Ions are hreat if you like the traditional yellow for fog lights and Intense give off a crisp white light. The intense is the brightest of the 3 but they all draw roughtly the same power. again something to do with the gasses they use.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I was hoping to see color difference(if any) from headlights, intensity, etc.....if nobody has a night shot then no biggie...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts