Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have some off brand KC lights (6") on my old jeep and they were insanely bright....and cheap. Now I've got a new jeep and was going to get another set, but now i see a lot of people rolling these 12" to 50" CREE LED light bars. They cost thousands, but you can get off brand versions much cheaper.

My question is, how much of a difference is there between the light output? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Advantage of the LED light bars are they are very durable. Go to the Rigid site and see the video's of them beating crap out of the lights and they keep working. Even many of the off brands are very durable. Very high light output, and low power draw. Very long lifespans. KC has joined the LED band wagon as well.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
^ what he said. Also, brighter light in a smaller package. I went from KC 6" daylighters to rigid dually on my windshield. You don't have to go with rigid brand but led's are the way to go.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a Seward 50" light bar with Rigid duallys. For the money Seward is the way to go. Just as bright & it comes with a lifetime warranty. Best $450 light bar on the market... and it's built in the USA!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
As mentioned, KC now has LED lights. I have the 4" round LZR LEDs on my bull bar and I'm very happy with them.

I'll admit I also just like the look of round lights on the bumper area vs. square lights or light bars.

·
Registered
664 Posts
LEDs have no disadvantage other than lacking the throw of HIDs or halogen. After running Truck-lite Phase 7s then switching back to halogen with Hella H4 E-Codes, RallyLights/SMS harness, and Philip Xtreme Vision bulbs, I prefer halogen for the clarity and throw. Those eBay 50" light bars are tempting though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm getting mixed signals here (kidding). So the LED lights are brighter, but don't project out a beam like the spot lights basically. I read the that 50" bars have flood lights on the sides and spot lights in the middle to give a 'best of both worlds' spread. Can anyone confirm or is that just marketing BS ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I read the that 50" bars have flood lights on the sides and spot lights in the middle to give a 'best of both worlds' spread. Can anyone confirm or is that just marketing BS ?
This is common practice on the 50" bars. I haven't seen any 50" bars that aren't a combo beam. Although to correct you its the other way around. The spot beams are in the middle while the sides are flood beam (less light throw over your hood).

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you guys think about this light bar I found on Amazon? Amazon.com: 300W LED Lights Bar COMBO 10-30V 50'' 20000 lm 3W*100 LED Off Road 4*4 SUV UTV ATV Jeep: Automotive

Product Description
Speciality:

LED Power: 300W 30000LM

Operating Voltage: 10-30 DC

Waterproof rate: IP 67

100pcs*3w high intensity LEDS

Body Color: Black

Color Temperature: 6000K

Light Color: White

Material:Diecast aluminum housing

Lens material:pC glass

Mounting Bracket: Alu firm bracket

Beam: Flood beam pattern 60 degree 30 degee spot beam Combo

30000 hours above life time

·
Registered
127 Posts
All my lights are CREE LEDs from PureFireLED.com

Lifetime warranty and awesome lights with superior light output.

LEDs are the way to go.

This is my favorite light. It has independent control. I can run with flood or spot or both! That's just awesome.

image-2709091007.jpg

image-3279867468.jpg

image-2782459394.jpg

image-3657467479.jpg

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I am an LED fan. We started carrying the Krawl Off-road brand of LED lights and they are crazy. I would compare them to a Rigid. They offer an Elite series and a Pro series. The Pro's are for people who do not want to break the bank on lighting. They are very durable and bright. The Elite's are what would go up against the Rigids.

I can get Rigid's, the Krawl, KC's etc...Just about anything.

-Dan

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to get a 50 inch and mount it on top of the jeep, but I see some people mount it across the front of the hood. Doesn't that sort of limit the amount of light you get directly in front of the jeep. Also, doesn't it sort of limit your view being on the hood....staring at the back of the light bar and less road?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd like to get a 50 inch and mount it on top of the jeep, but I see some people mount it across the front of the hood. Doesn't that sort of limit the amount of light you get directly in front of the jeep. Also, doesn't it sort of limit your view being on the hood....staring at the back of the light bar and less road?
Lol iv never seen some mount a 50" on a hood. That would be a site to see. I have a 20 on my hood I like the look but at times it's annoying to look at when I drive. Doesn't obstruct just weird having a bar there. It really helps on the trails though.

I built my own 50" brackets so the bar is at the top of my windshield and not visible from inside the cab. Most brackets out there have the light bar going across the top of windshield about 2" into the top of window. I don't like that at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts