Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around and seen various threads, responses, comments etc on fog lights and driving lights.

I live in Texas and want fog lights for my yj. I know kc and the others all say off road use only, but how many people run them anyways. I want bumper mounted lights. Have you ever been hassled by the cops? If there's another thread about this and this needs to be deleted, do so, or if it needs to be moved move it.

·
Ugly Supporting Member
1,546 Posts
I use them on my JK and they always were a benefit to the horrid weak JK headlights. Nice broad pattern and they really lit up the side of the road nicely and once saved me from imprinting my grill pattern on a nice sized buck.

Twice I got pulled over for not turning them off with an approaching vehicle, but all it took was a sincere apology and the promise of doing better in the future. I always try to kill the fog lights when another vehicle approaches because it bothers me when others don't to that.

·
Registered
483 Posts
change your head lamps to silver stars

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I got these after getting mad at the lack of stability in the little guys I had. They are actually decently bright, even with my brights on I can tell a difference. They are cheap, I won't care if (when) I brake em. The stupid bars are ugly IMO and can't help light get out, so I cut em out. I think I'm gonna get a couple more, put HID bulbs in them, then wire them to my brights. They have a mounting bracket that is a U with a 13mm bolt running through the bottom for swivel and another going through each top of the U to hold the liht vertically. They have about a 1" offset, which is cool, but I wasn't expecting. The little guys are now going to the back, time for a switch panel. Oh, having a Jeep...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...50350-p?searchTerm=driving+lights+#fragment-3

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Oh yea, the switch the give ya is cheap.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with some kc apollos 55w. Hooked them up last night, tonight I'm going to properly aim them and try them out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's not really the lights...as in your asking if they make street legal lights...it's more the laws and common courtesy to not use auxilliary lights when there is oncoming traffic under normal weather conditions.

Are silver stars that much better?
I think so. I been using them on 3 vehicles since about 2001, and I see way better. Don't get too high of color temperature though. In my opinion, about 4200 is maximum for good sight and object recognition.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just aligned my kc's... they seem to be a decent brightness. i should be ok using them. they are in no way as bright as the fake hid lights i see running around. when i say fake, i mean the crazy bright head lights and fog lights on chevy 1500's that are purple and just do not look factory.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I recently learned here that the HIDs also need matched HID specific reflectors or they tend to scatter light high, and all around. If you just put the retrofit kit in without an entire matched and approved reflector/lens kit, they will likely blind other drivers. Between that and the fact that the blue/violet light puts too many lumens into the non-visible range, they are actually a detriment to actual seeing by the user, and blind oncoming traffic as well.

Back to KC lights, you shouldn't use them in the city or with oncoming cars if you don't have to. I treat them like high beams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts