Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm just kicking around and seeing if anyone else has used and wired these in. The chrome metal tubing doesn't play well with the entry area into the engine compartment. I was wondering if there was a different wire loom or something I should be looking at. I've seen a ton of A pillar wiring posts but this one is a little different.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sorry this is kind of off topic, but how much space is there to access the two bolts on the pillar above the mount? I'm looking at these brackets and want to make sure I can fit my quick release mirrors and this pillar without issues.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good question, I use the mirrors that go into the top door hinge. I'll take a pic and post it.

Reactions: tdashrom

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Control Fraying on Braided Sleeve

Yeah I bought some expandable wire coating. I'm just going to feed it up the wiring and see how that goes. Probably just feed it over the base of the metal loom and then liquid electrical tape it. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

"BLACK 3/8 100FT BRAIDED EXPANDABLE FLEX SLEEVE WIRING HARNESS LOOM WIRE COVER"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IT2QECO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know how difficult liquid electrical tape is to remove for servicing, but if you tuck the final 2 or 3 inches of the braided sleeve into itself it will control the fraying.
I use this stuff at work quite a bit. I have seen people burn/melt the ends or put shrink tubing on it to control the fraying, but the tuck method seems to work best (easy servicing if you have to remove or repair the wires). If I use shrink tubing, I use the ATUM type. It has heat sensitive glue inside, so it stays where you put it. The problem with shrink tubing is the heat can damage the braided sleeve and it is a pain to service if it has the glue inside.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never thought of that, Thanks Bill.

Yeah I just used old school electrical tape on it, but I like the tuck idea better. Looks like I have something to keep me busy in the garage on black Friday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts