Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, so I have been meaning to start my build thread for a while now. My jeep was a gift to me from my grandparents/parents for high school graduation. Bought her in March of 2012.

Can't find my pictures from when I brought her home, so here's some of the earliest ones I can find:

How it came:
2002 Sport
NV 3550 Manual Transmission
Hard and Bikini tops
D44 Rear axle
3.73 Gears
2 Inch skyjacker BB
Skyjacker Shocks
TC Drop (1"?)
1"BL
Cheap radio shack CB with Antenna
16" Rubi take-off wheels
285/75/R16 Pro Comp M/T's (~33")
Cowl Air Intake

What I have done so far:
Aussie locked the front D30
Rebuilt Transmission
LED Rock lights
JCR Front Bumper with Stinger
Smittybilt H20 8k Winch

Right now, I am a student at A&M, so I have a very limited budget and very limited time to install mods. So while I am at home this summer, I will be busy working and buying/installing upgrades for the jeep.

Future (in no order):
MC 3.5" Dual Rate Springs OR OME 2" Springs. Haven't decided yet
Rancho 9000 XL
Antirock F/R
MC Adjustable CA's
Monstaliner
SYE/CV
Vanco Big Brakes
Heavy Duty Tie Rod/Drag Link
Regear to 4.88s
35's
Rear Corner Armor
Tera 2 LO kit
Currie or MC track bars

Plans After College:
WB Stretch
Triangulated 4-Link Rear
37's
Custom Roll Cage
Keep it Street Legal to be a DD

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were some goodies waiting for me when I came home yesterday!

Put the Brake/Reverse lights on tonight (just finished)

Need to get some of those LED bolts for the license plate lights.

With these lights, I was unable to reuse the stock license plate mount.

Need to get an EP-26 to fix my fast flash but I don't mind it for now.

Also, it looks like theres some rust on the tailgate, but it's just dirt from where the spare carrier was. Leaving it off for now because I like the look.

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Eagles unite!! Lol, became one last December. Anyway, did you have to do anything with the evaporator for the gas tank after cutting for the tail lights. I heard that could be a problem sometimes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eagles unite!! Lol, became one last December. Anyway, did you have to do anything with the evaporator for the gas tank after cutting for the tail lights. I heard that could be a problem sometimes.
Yea! I got mine in November of 2011.

The evap canister is under the hood with the 2002.
Yes, that's right. I will have to do some relocating when it comes to installing the highline fenders though. Going to have to get creative with the arrangement of the washer bottle, evap canister and fuse box. A new battery tray comes with the fenders to help there.

Plan is to drop them off at the powder coaters early next week after I call around and get a couple quotes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I am in the process of installing the 'negative flare' version of those XC fenders. The fenders and inner fenders are in place, I am just working on getting everything mounted. I had the PSC battery bracket powdercoated, along with the factory battery tray.....it was a mess! The fuse box won't be hard to mount (just remove the metal bracket and bolt the box straight to the fender), but the evap canister is the real issue.
For the washer bottle, I picked up a small, universal setup that will fit just about anywhere. I didn't want to have to try to remount the factory bottle along with everything else. It gets tight in there!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in the process of installing the 'negative flare' version of those XC fenders. The fenders and inner fenders are in place, I am just working on getting everything mounted. I had the PSC battery bracket powdercoated, along with the factory battery tray.....it was a mess! The fuse box won't be hard to mount (just remove the metal bracket and bolt the box straight to the fender), but the evap canister is the real issue.
For the washer bottle, I picked up a small, universal setup that will fit just about anywhere. I didn't want to have to try to remount the factory bottle along with everything else. It gets tight in there!
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I will probably end up extending the hoses and moving it somewhere completely different. I guess I will be ordering a new washer bottle too!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealing with a little bit of a set back. Yesterday, my brother got his jeep stuck and called me to winch him out.

I winched him out and tried to back out of this little ravine but one of my back wheels was spinning. Note: I didn't have 4WD because I bent my driveshaft on my last wheeling trip over spring break. So long story short, I gave it a little too much gas and *POP*

I ended up getting unstuck and drove (limped) it the two miles or so back home. But any time I would accelerate, I heard a popping noise

I knew it right away, thought it was an axle shaft. So I removed the drivers side axle shaft last night and it's fine. Next, I popped the Diff cover. All looks fine until I noticed there are chunks out of a couple of the spider gears. So I am about to go pull the other shaft and remove the carrier to assess the damage fully, but for right now my R&P look fine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

While my jeep is immobile, I got the hood and one fender off so far. Fenders go to the powder coater on monday.

I removed the carrier and have about 4 chips in each spider gear. From what I have seen, rebuild kits are about $250 for the differential, so I am probably just going to get a locker for a little bit extra. Kind of an impromptu upgrade, but my Jeep won't be driveable until I fix it and I'm pretty excited about it. :)

I have been doing my research on lockers for the rear. I have ruled out the aussie(drivability), ARB (price = $1000+) and OX cable actuated(bad reviews). Since my jeep is going to be driven long distances back and forth to College Station, I will need it to cooperate on the road. My top two right now are the detroit Locker and the Eaton E-locker. Any thoughts or alternatives? Cavasar, I know you reccomended the Yukon Zip locker but those are $800 plus an OBA compressor. I can get the Detroit for $650 on Q-tec or the E-locker for around $800

·
Registered
639 Posts
. Since my jeep is going to be driven long distances back and forth to College Station, I will need it to cooperate on the road. My top two right now are the detroit Locker and the Eaton E-locker. Any thoughts or alternatives? Cavasar, I know you reccomended the Yukon Zip locker but those are $800 plus an OBA compressor. I can get the Detroit for $650 on Q-tec or the E-locker for around $800
WHOOP!

I don't have any experience with any rear locker. I just ordered the Detroit for the rear because of the great reviews, the difference being mine is an auto and yours is standard.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Where did you order it from and are you using the same pumps that were attached to the old one?

I did a quick google search yesterday but couldn't really find what I was looking for.
It has a built-in pump. I got it off ebay, but I can't find a current listing for it. Type 'universal windshield washer bottle' and you will have countless options, most being pretty small and including pump.

Oh, and for lockers....my axle guy is a big fan of the Yukon zip locker. I have an ARB in my 8.8, but have not hooked it up yet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When did you add that picture about the spider gears, bummer. You were getting ready to regear anyways right?
Lasr Friday. Im still trting to decide what I want to do about it. I called around and the cheapest quote I got was $1800 with no lockers. Where did you have yours done?

Its a predicament because I dont want to pay for a locker twice (once now, once after regear) but I dont have $2k lying around for a regear

1 - 20 of 118 Posts