Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just broke down and bought the detroit locker. I will be picking it up from 4WP tomorrow and installing. It was either $300 for a trac-lok rebuild kit or $500 for a locker so I went with the locker. :iamhappy:

It just sucks to know that I will be buying a new locker when I regear in the future because the detroit is for 3.73 and down.

Fenders will be dropped off at powder coaters tomorrow and driveshaft will be dropped off to get re-tubed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm having mine done at Addictive Autoworks in Calvert at the beginning of the week when my guy gets back from Go Topless Day. Not sure on cost per axle as I'm having several things done at the same time. You'll be buying a new locker but at least you can re sell you the one you just bought.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm having mine done at Addictive Autoworks in Calvert at the beginning of the week when my guy gets back from Go Topless Day. Not sure on cost per axle as I'm having several things done at the same time. You'll be buying a new locker but at least you can re sell you the one you just bought.
Yeah, I guess I will just be a slug on the highway for a while. The drive from here to cstat will probably take like 5 hrs now instead of 4 lol.

I should have the locker soon, and fenders are being powdercoated this weekend. Hope to have everything done before next weekend. I still have to cut the hood and relocate the evap canister and such.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Any updates? Got my ECGS package today, just waiting on the shop to fit me in. Kind of short notice but I'm going to Hidden Falls on the 7th if interested. Just enough time to break in the new gears.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Any updates? Got my ECGS package today, just waiting on the shop to fit me in. Kind of short notice but I'm going to Hidden Falls on the 7th if interested. Just enough time to break in the new gears.
I would love to go the 7th if I can get everything installed in time. I'll get back to you on that.

Got a couple phone calls today. My driveshaft is rebuilt and my fenders have finished being powder coated. I am going to pick them up tomorrow. Then I have to cut the bottom few inches off the hood, install the new LED turn signals and get the fenders bolted up and all the components relocated.

My locker came in yesterday. I just got to working on it tonight and I found out it doesn't come with new carrier bearings. I have to get new ones AND the worst part is I am basically setting up a R&P since the carrier is being replaced. So I have to get the preload, backlash, etc. just right. I may even have to order a few shim packs to get the preload right.

My next steps:
  1. Get old carrier bearings off with some special puller, or see if I can pay someone like $20 to do it with their puller (they are expensive)
  2. Buy new bearings
  3. Take the shims off and put them on the new carrier
  4. Test fit new carrier, check preload, mesh pattern, backlash, etc.
  5. If everything isn't right, order more shims and try until it's right
  6. Install carrier
  7. Reassemble Everything

So yeah, I have my work cut out for me for now. BUT hopefully I will be done by the 7th so I can go to HF. :bop:
The hardest part will be getting the gears set up. Youtube will be my guide haha

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Let me know if you need any close-ups on what I did with the underhood accessories. It actually turned out much easier than I was letting myself think.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Let me know if you need any close-ups on what I did with the underhood accessories. It actually turned out much easier than I was letting myself think.
Sounds good. I am about to bolt up the second fender then I will begin relocating stuff. Did you have to extend the hoses for the evap canister or wires to the fusebox?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I did not have to extend anything other than the wires for the washer bottle, since it is on the backside of the inner fender toward the firewall instead of up front.

I mounted the horns all the way to the front near the grille. The charcoal canister came next (with the hose inlets pointing toward the firewall), and then the other things attached to the canister via hoses.
I cut off a few pieces of the brackets to allow them to sit flush against the fender. When you hold them in place, you will easily see what needs to be cut off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
TXST8tj feel free to join, I'm going to Hidden Falls on the 7th. I already sent Kdilly a pm about it.
Turns out my brother is graduating HS on the 6th and all of saturday will be devoted to graduation parties and such, So I won't be able to make it. Next time though!
I want to go on a "warm up" trip before I head to Colorado this summer to make sure everything works as it should. I also hope to have an anti-rock by then but I've got enough on my plate as it is. Cant wait to get my gears in.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
TXST8tj feel free to join, I'm going to Hidden Falls on the 7th. I already sent Kdilly a pm about it.
Would love to meet up with you guys there sometime.
I will be in Phoenix for a leadership/team building conference for work those days.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I think I want to switch to the DeFender Highlines next year if not sooner, get something with a little more clearance.
I went with the defenders because I could get free shipping from northridge. Had I had an extra $500-$600 I would have gone with genrights, tnt customs or the nemesis industries highlines. But im very happy with them. I am trying to finish installing them today but the evap canister is giving me headaches

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Remove the canister from the bracket. Cut off the pieces of the bracket that prevent it from sitting flat. Enlarge two existing holes for new bolts (I used 3/8" bolts).
When the canister is installed, mine sits level with the top of the fender. The hose inlets point toward the firewall.

Use the tab with original nut and bolt to secure the canister to the bracket.

It is forward enough to clear the shock stud (for easy removal of shock).
I will get you a close-up of the other two items. Once again, just cut off extra metal from bracket to let it sit flush to fender, drill a couple new holes and bolt in place.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts