Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
It just wasn't cooperating, had to get ratchet straps and blah blah. But the protection is good, although if I had the 03+ TJ I'd check out the Savvy setup.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Bent my stock skid plate back so the holes line up now. Ran over it with my dad's car to straighten it out. So it's fixed until my new one comes in. With the motor mounts replaced, my jeep drives like its brand new. I didn't know how bad it drove until now. The old motor mounts were BAD. And I was able to put the on without the TC drop since I have a MML.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Does a MML have the same effect as a tcase drop? I hate the drop but I don't want vibes. Gig 'em
Essentially, yes. With the MML, you don't sacrifice clearance though. Both help correct the pinion angle after lifting.

Gig 'em! Are/were you in the corps? Your name looks familiar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Essentially, yes. With the MML, you don't sacrifice clearance though. Both help correct the pinion angle after lifting.

Gig 'em! Are/were you in the corps? Your name looks familiar.
Yeah! I'm class of 2018. And thanks for the help! I think I am just going to go ahead and go for the SYE

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·

Bar pin snapped one of my rear shocks, and the shock is off of the bushing on the other. Currently working on replacing with bilstein 5100's, but the head of one of the bolts snapped off when I went to tighten it. :pullinghair:
Skyjacker shocks are so bad, thanks PO. :rant:

The first pic is the shock that had a snapped bar pin. It probably dragged around on the road for a week or so before I noticed it.

Unrelated:
It looks like the PO also wrapped the old skyjackers in duct tape where the shock hits the coil bucket at full flex. Over time, the exhaust melted the duct tape and the shocks now have huge dents in them from the coil bucket/shock interference.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Oh yikes. Any thoughts on outboarding while you're at it?
I've had thoughts for a while. Going to hold off until after I stretch the wheelbase.

I got the shock installed last week, and it was a royal pain. I broke the nut off using a dremel with a cut off wheel and a pry bar/sledge shoved in between the frame and body. After that, I had to grind the rest of it down with another dremel attachment because the dremel's cut off wheel didn't reach far enough to get the whole nut. Had I not done this, the washer on the other side wouldn't sit flat and the bolt would've been super crooked. Probably took an extra 2-3 hours of extra work once I figured out exactly how I wanted to go about it.:atomic:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I got the shock installed last week, and it was a royal pain. I broke the nut off using a dremel with a cut off wheel and a pry bar/sledge shoved in between the frame and body. After that, I had to grind the rest of it down with another dremel attachment because the dremel's cut off wheel didn't reach far enough to get the whole nut. Had I not done this, the washer on the other side wouldn't sit flat and the bolt would've been super crooked. Probably took an extra 2-3 hours of extra work once I figured out exactly how I wanted to go about it.:atomic:
Forgot I hadn't posted before this. What happened was when I was tightening the bolts to reinstall the shocks, the VERY LAST bolt snapped right off, left the threaded part stuck in the nut. Had to break the welded nut off and put my own hardware on. I drove around for a couple weeks with only one rear shock while I figured out how to get the sucker off.

Also, on the lower mounts, the metal eyes inside the rubber bushings on the new shocks were too big to fit in the mount. I had to grind it down considerably to get it to fit properly. Not sure if its from banging my shock mounts on rocks, or it's just the nature of the bilstein design. But they're on now. Finally.

My Jeep is currently overdue for inspection/registration and I have no muffler or third brake light. Need to get the UCF skid in place before I have the exhaust done and find wiring for the third brake light somewhere.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
long time, no post

Hey everyone!
about two years from my last jeep related post!
Ever since I got the Kia, my jeep has been sitting in the garage a lot.
You may think: more time to work on it and upgrade!

Wrong!
Wife and I bought a house in August last year (Garage, sweet!)
various projects around the house and work have taken priority over jeep stuff. HOwever, I have big plans for the next year or so.
Today, my dad and I replaced the front axle shaft U-Joints. I bought 4 u-joints with the intention of having spares for me or others out on the trail, but I messed up TWO(!) of them during the install process. I kept busting the end caps by using the U-Joint press a little to hard and underestimating the load on the press while trying to fit the stupid retaining rings in.

The old ones looked BAD - they were all dried out and not a drop of grease in sight (sealed/non-greaseable) one of the end caps had broken and there weren't even any of the "pins" inside (bearings?).

They are all done now though.

A few months back, around new years, me and some buddies/family members went on a wheeling trip to Gilmer/BMRA. Great time, except one of my idler pulleys seized up on the way there causing the belt to snap. I pulled over as soon as I possibly could, but as soon as I pulled over, the jeep had already overheated causing the top seam of my radiator to explode. Left it behind, had a collision shop that shared the parking lot I pulled into replace the radiator, and picked it up on the way home.

Plans for the near future:
I think I'm going to do it, guys. My tires are low on tread and I want to move up to 37s. currently on 35s.
Front dana 30 will have to deal -- I don't use a lot of skinny pedal off road - and if I snap a shaft, I'll just replace with chromolys or rcv. ($$). Rear d44 should be fine.
I almost pulled the trigger on a SYE/CV DS package from adams last week. I'm going to be doing that within the next month or so, so I can finally install the HC Skid plate that's been sitting in my parents garage for about 3 years.
After that, I'm going to aim for a bigger/better lift. currently on 2 inch budget boost - I want to aim for the savvy mid arm kit for the better geometry -- but it's expensive. Also want to bedline the whole tub and re-gear to 4.88s.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts