Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport unlimited and I didn’t drive it for a day and I woke up with the battery dead. We charged it up, got it running and today it was dead again. At first we thought it was low fuel because that was popping up but we put gas and the battery was 100% dead. We don’t have any aftermarket installed it’s completely stock does anyone know what could be wrong or had the same issue? Trying to see if it’s something simple before taking it into the dealer

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
First thing to check is make sure the alternator is properly charging the battery. It should show around 14 volts when running.
The stock, OEM, battery is not known for being overly robust. It may just need a new battery. More than a few seem to only last two to three years. You should be able to have the battery tested for free at one of the big name parts stores.
Finally, you can look for a drain, but I would check the other two things first. There are a few ways to check for a drain, you can use a meter on the various circuits at the fuse panel for example. But it is probably a dying battery.
I would not take it to the dealer unless they are going to replace the battery under warranty, and even then I think I would just buy a quality battery vs another crappy stock battery.

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
My factory battery only lasted a couple of years, wouldn't surprise me if yours is dead.
When replacing make sure you check the terminals on the posts, a lot of installers don't get them on there all the way.

I use a large socket and gently tap the terminal FULLY down on the post.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My original battery lasted 4 years and I was surprised it lasted that long. The cheap replacement that I bought from Wal Mart gave it up a couple weeks ago (after 2 years).

I've been looking at various AGM replacement batteries to hopefully last a little longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! I’ll post an update, gonna have to wait till the weekend to get her back up and running. Any recommendations of good batteries?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to an Autozone or other car parts place that provided free battery and charging system checks and start there.
First thing to check is make sure the alternator is properly charging the battery. It should show around 14 volts when running.
The stock, OEM, battery is not known for being overly robust. It may just need a new battery. More than a few seem to only last two to three years. You should be able to have the battery tested for free at one of the big name parts stores.
Finally, you can look for a drain, but I would check the other two things first. There are a few ways to check for a drain, you can use a meter on the various circuits at the fuse panel for example. But it is probably a dying battery.
I would not take it to the dealer unless they are going to replace the battery under warranty, and even then I think I would just buy a quality battery vs another crappy stock battery.
My factory battery only lasted a couple of years, wouldn't surprise me if yours is dead.
When replacing make sure you check the terminals on the posts, a lot of installers don't get them on there all the way.

I use a large socket and gently tap the terminal FULLY down on the post.

Good luck!
My original battery lasted 4 years and I was surprised it lasted that long. The cheap replacement that I bought from Wal Mart gave it up a couple weeks ago (after 2 years).

I've been looking at various AGM replacement batteries to hopefully last a little longer.

It’s not the battery we just checked it and it’s not the alternator either....

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I am sure you already checked all the lights, etc. to be sure nothing is left on? Had an issue once where my glove box on a Chevy truck was not latching securely and the light inside was staying on. Or as mentioned above, could be a drain. I had a GM power window actuator that caused a steady drain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you everyone! I’ll post an update, gonna have to wait till the weekend to get her back up and running. Any recommendations of good batteries?
Anything group 48 in AGM. Most have a 3 year replacement plan.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Then there is a drain on the battery. Either something is staying turned on that shouldn't be or something was installed that constantly drains the battery. Do you have any lights, radios, etc. installed? If not then it's the factory equipment which could be faulty.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then there is a drain on the battery. Either something is staying turned on that shouldn't be or something was installed that constantly drains the battery. Do you have any lights, radios, etc. installed? If not then it's the factory equipment which could be faulty.

I have nothing installed it’s all stock 😕 do you think it could be the starter?? That’s what my boyfriend is thinking is wrong. But I may have to take it in to check that because something may not be turning off that I can’t tell.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have nothing installed it’s all stock 😕 do you think it could be the starter?? That’s what my boyfriend is thinking is wrong. But I may have to take it in to check that because something may not be turning off that I can’t tell.
Did you actually take the alternator and battery out of the Jeep and in to get tested? If so, who did the testing?

Are there any indicator lights on the dash about low voltage when the Jeep is running?

Lots of things can go wrong in theory. It's hard to track them down.

I would start by pulling fuses and leaving them out over night. See if one pulled fuse fixes the problem. There are a lot to go through though.

You can also get a multi-meter that can measure amperage. Turn the Jeep off, pull a fuse, and put the two leads where the fuse would plug in. See which circuit is drawing power. You might get a very low draw from a couple of circuits but one would stand out if it's draining the battery overnight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then there is a drain on the battery. Either something is staying turned on that shouldn't be or something was installed that constantly drains the battery. Do you have any lights, radios, etc. installed? If not then it's the factory equipment
which could be faulty.
Also, we charge it and like 15 30 mins later it’s alreadt not starting

·
Registered
791 Posts
@Breeea: When you checked the battery did you put any kind of load test on it? Or just check voltage? YOu can have a 12v fully charged battery that will "test good" but once you put a load on it it does have the amperage to twist the starter.

You might have already load tested it, if so, Im running low on ideas. I had a yellow top optima that went back in 27 months, votage was holding firm at 12.6v but once you put a load on it it had only 175cca.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Will it start with a jump? If it does, its your battery.
My original battery only lasted 2 years. As the weather got colder she would not start on a cold morning. She would start with a jump though. Changed the battery and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
if it's a 2016 battery - it probably just isn't holding a charge any longer. I replaced my 2015 batteries back in March of 2018.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you change the battery and the alternator is good... The next thing to look at is what is draining the battery and why.

It likely could be the TIPM. (Totally Integrated Power Module)

I've see before were the TIPM was keeping somthing on when the jeep was off. In that case the TIPM was telling the A/C compressor to keep the A/C compressor clutch engaged even with the car off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts