Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,582 Posts
I'm also on 3.73's but currently have 285/70-17's KO2's. I'm also built heavy. Just curious that you mention 4.88's but mention 4.54's are in your future...not to split this thread....but why are you going 4.54's instead of 4.88's for these tires? I'm considering 4.54's with my current "33's" because 4.88's would seem too tall for them.....but these kenda's in this size are interesting....thoughts?
4.56 based on the weight of the rig plus it is my daily driver, so its splitting hairs really. When you look at the chart, 4.56 is in the middle of the application chart. I don't do a lot of 1st gear only rock climbing. More 1st and 2nd gear trails.

Reactions: dmulk

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
4.56 based on the weight of the rig plus it is my daily driver, so its splitting hairs really. When you look at the chart, 4.56 is in the middle of the application chart. I don't do a lot of 1st gear only rock climbing. More 1st and 2nd gear trails.
I also think the prevailing recommendations are 4.56 for 35s w/auto & 4.88 for 35s/manual. Again, 4.56 vs. 4.88 is really a very minor difference. I can tell you that 4.88 is a very short 1st gear! I sometimes pull out in 2nd.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I also think the prevailing recommendations are 4.56 for 35s w/auto & 4.88 for 35s/manual. Again, 4.56 vs. 4.88 is really a very minor difference. I can tell you that 4.88 is a very short 1st gear! I sometimes pull out in 2nd.
Sorry, yeah I meant too short not tall in my last reply. I agree that 4.56 seems good for 35's....so here's a question for the collective: would 4.56 still be acceptable for my "33's"? I'm fairly happy with them but not the 3.73's....I would also like to avoid regearing again in the future but would like the option to run 35's or 33's.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I believe that 4.56 w/33s and an auto will land in the 'performance' category of the chart. If you look around you will find a gearing chart that has some 'recommendations' on gearing vs. tire size vs. transmission type. They are everywhere and easy to find. Check them out to get another view of the impact of gears & tire size on rpms @ a specific speed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe that 4.56 w/33s and an auto will land in the 'performance' category of the chart. If you look around you will find a gearing chart that has some 'recommendations' on gearing vs. tire size vs. transmission type. They are everywhere and easy to find. Check them out to get another view of the impact of gears & tire size on rpms @ a specific speed.
Will do. Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. 🥃😎

·
Registered
403 Posts
My current set up-2018 willy's JK 2 door with factory rear locker, trutrac front, mopar 2 inch lift, yeti track bar, rancho geo brackets and NRG 285/70-17s that have about 45000 highway miles on them since it's my daily driver, 36 miles one way to work. Looks like I will easily get 20-25k more miles on these. Thinking about the Kenda 35-10.5s when it's time for new ones. Will I get the same ride and longevity out of these compared to the NRGs?

·
Registered
403 Posts
No idea from anyone how long these things may last yet? Ok, what about gearing? I have the factory 3.73s and 99.9 percent of my daily driving is interstate? Is this going to be ok or should I just look past these and stick with 255/80-17 NRGs?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I re-geared to 4.88 from 4.10. It is back to how the Jeep felt with oem size tires and 4.10 gears. I especially like it off-road.

I have a stick and sometimes I pull out in 2nd. First is very short and I don’t stay in it long after pulling out.

longevity is tough to estimate. These have not been out that long.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Got the Pizza Cutters mounted (new fenders on order to clear while flexed), any recommendations on getting the spare to work on the factory carrier? Will a reinforced gate be enough spacing on factory wheels? Like 82214770AC?

-Blackbear Edition
-3.73, Factory Rear Locker
-6 Speed manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Negative. Stock wheel may have something to do with it? May need a spacer?

I recall mine fitting, but it pushed on the chmsl a bit too much. I have a rubicon but I do not think that changes the offset. I did install a teraflex carrier shortly afterwards, but the wheel and tire did fit Initially. if you relocate the third brake light it should fit just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While waiting on new fenders, I cut the enhanced rock rails down and checked for clearance. So much rubbing on the stock fenders. Lol

Went ahead and ordered teraflex reinforcement hinge. I hope this will provide enough spacing from the bumper to work. If not I’ll go ahead and order the mount.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,582 Posts
It will fit fine. If not, there should be enough space on the studs you can add washers or a small spacer to give you a bit more room on each of the three studs.

·
Registered
510 Posts
These tires continue to surprise me. 16" of snow and they just dig down and still move you forward...

·
Registered
20 Posts
These tires continue to surprise me. 16" of snow and they just dig down and still move you forward...
I haven’t gotten my fenders on yet because it’s been too cold during this mid-south deep freeze (woke up to 4F this morning). But on the bright side, I’ve got tons of snow to play in and I can echo your sentiment. These tires are fantastic in the snow! Much better than my old BFG mud terrain. And I’d say even slightly better than the Goodyear wrangler all terrain. The siping seems to grab the snow well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had these a few months now and I am very happy with the purchase. They are a lot quieter than the KM2s they replaced. They performed well in the Rausch Creek and AOAA terrain. I think they have done better in the snow than either the Duratracs or Wildpeaks I had previously. This is surprising since they do not have the three peaks symbol. One thing I have noticed is they tend to flat spot overnight in the cold. It goes away after a few miles but it is noticeable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mopar fender flares finally installed and plenty of clearance now around the tires with bump stop flex. No rubbing. The teraflex hinge didn’t provide enough spacing by itself (~1/4”) to be able to mount the spare tire to factory mount, but with the teraflex mount it moves up and back allowing it to fit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mopar fender flares finally installed and plenty of clearance now around the tires with bump stop flex. No rubbing. The teraflex hinge didn’t provide enough spacing by itself (~1/4”) to be able to mount the spare tire to factory mount, but with the teraflex mount it moves up and back allowing it to fit.

I have the 2-door highlines, too. Not a fan how they intersect the rear bumper.

261 - 280 of 289 Posts