Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input,moving on from my 130s radio in my 16 HR Unlim. Trying install myself and going to pull the trigger if I find a great Black Fri deal.

I was dead set on the pioneer but the Kenwood is intriguing...new iphone user that jumped ship from android. Thx

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have the Kenwood for 2 month now and very happy. The eq and other features real bring the stock speakers to life. Using CarPlay, Waze is on the screen instead of the small phone. Other times, bluetooth is used for Pandora. Only downside is no volume knob.

Reactions: Artdnj

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you consider the Pioneer HU by any chance? Thanks for input

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I just shopped around looking at different radios in the price range. Don't really remember which ones I compared to. I ended up on Crutchfield website and called them. They never steered me wrong in the past and they recommended the Kenwood. It has all I wanted so I went for it. Big improvement over the stock unit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advise, I have bought from them years prior.Did you get a rear cam by chance?

·
Registered
21 Posts
4500nex

I had the Pioneer 4500NEX installed this summer. It's great. I used Android Auto, but it can be configured for Apple Car Play. One of the reasons I went with the 4500NEX was for the removable face plate. I have a hard top, but I take off every chance I get and can remove the face plate if I'm leaving it unattended for a period of time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you install it yourself?, I don't want to but I think I may attempt it.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Great advise, I have bought from them years prior.Did you get a rear cam by chance?
Yes and a front cam also mounted in the passenger frame. Protected there and I can see where to place the tire while crawling. Not too useful, but couldn't stand to have the option and not use it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes and a front cam also mounted in the passenger frame. Protected there and I can see where to place the tire while crawling. Not too useful, but couldn't stand to have the option and not use it.

I did the same but on my pioneer. It bothered me to have a second camera Input and not use it so I added a front facing camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
IMO I think has Kenwood has better sound but I like the EQ section of the Pioneer better. I have had both top of the line models.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,055 Posts
Several weeks ago I replaced the 130n with a Kenwood 7706S. It's not the super high end Kenwood but it has all the features I needed. Be sure to get the iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module so all your steering wheels controls will work regardless of what unit you buy. I also recommend getting the premade wiring harness from Crutchfield as it greatly simplifies your install. I got everything I needed from Crutchfield for about 550 dollars.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I had the pioneer 4200nex and the Kenwood 9903s.... pretty comparable units.... Indeed got rid of them both for something else I like better but that's another story.
I preferred the Kenwood. The pioneer I think had a slightly better menu system but the Kenwood had the better overall quality as well as more flexibility and adjustment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did i read somewhere the the DMX906S supports dynamic guidelines on the backup camera when using the Idatalink? Or was that just a rumor. I am considering these units as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did i read somewhere the the DMX906S supports dynamic guidelines on the backup camera when using the Idatalink? Or was that just a rumor. I am considering these units as well.
Got this from specs...

Parking GuideLines
Parking guide lines (requires installation of compatible backup camera) that enhance the effectiveness of a backup camera

Im thinking of the $149 Brandmotion spare tire mount one, hope it's compatible.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,055 Posts
Got this from specs...

Parking GuideLines
Parking guide lines (requires installation of compatible backup camera) that enhance the effectiveness of a backup camera

Im thinking of the $149 Brandmotion spare tire mount one, hope it's compatible.
I installed this one from Master Tailgaters (don't say that 3 times fast) for 80 bucks from Amazon. Works fine, can be adjusted pretty easy and the picture is very sharp even at night. Also it's compatible with my Kenwood parking lines but I found they were unnecessary and don't use them.

FWIW the couple of days we had rain and a little snow the camera stayed pretty clean because of it's location. My 2017 F150 camera is hard to see much when it gets wet because of it's location in the tailgate. So far this mounting location on my Jeep seems far superior.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LB69V91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed this one from Master Tailgaters (don't say that 3 times fast) for 80 bucks from Amazon. Works fine, can be adjusted pretty easy and the picture is very sharp even at night. Also it's compatible with my Kenwood parking lines but I found they were unnecessary and don't use them.

FWIW the couple of days we had rain and a little snow the camera stayed pretty clean because of it's location. My 2017 F150 camera is hard to see much when it gets wet because of it's location in the tailgate. So far this mounting location on my Jeep seems far superior.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LB69V91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you tap into the reverse light wire for power or some other way?

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,055 Posts
Did you tap into the reverse light wire for power or some other way?
Tapped into the rear tail light which is a piece of cake to do. You can run the camera wire into the tail gate then into the passenger side on the inside. Then you can remove the tail light poke the reverse wire from the inside into the tail light cavity and tap into the reverse wire. What's nice is you can do that standing outside of the jeep with the tail light removed. I don't remember what color wire but I used a simple tester to find the reverse light power wire. Turn your key on put the vehicle in reverse and simply test which wire is hot. Shift it out of reverse to make sure you have the correct wire as it will no longer be hot.

With the camera I used there was plenty of wire so there was no need to splice anything. It took me about 30 mins to get it wired and then ran the wires under the carpet along the passenger side to the head unit. There are no wires showing including coming through the tail gate so it's nice and clean install.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts