Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Kenwood installed and the antenna is installed on the dash by the windsheild on the left side. The reception sucks to say the least. If a bird flys over I loose the XM. I see that some have said to put the antenna on the roll bar above the center loop or even on top of the sound bar. I want to know what antenna you are using? I have the SiriusXM V200 antenna and it looks to thick to fit there with the hard top on.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The antenna that comes with the SXV200 should fit just fine in either of those places; that is the standard aftermarket XM antenna that comes with almost every XM radio. I know the soundbar is metal on the TJ's, but if it's plastic on the JK's, you probably don't want to use the soundbar, as the antenna should be mounted directly to a magnetic surface so it has a good ground plane. The roll bar should work fine for you, but take the padding off first and get the antenna under it to ensure it will clear your hardtop.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
i have placed my antenna on both jeeps on top of the sound bar, the metal sits slightly lower than the plastic so that helps. you can run the wire up the front pillar and inside the roll bar surround and over to the center of the sound bar. in fact i have a gps antenna on the X there as well and have no issues. hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Btw if you need any help or have questions on the head unit let me know I installed 2 of the same model in my jeeps

·
Registered
138 Posts
I installed the dnx6180 with HD and rear backup camera in my jeep in July, pretty easy install and great product.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome. The antenna on the sound bar works a ton better. Sometimes loose reception, but it is way better than before.

I am thinking of installing the backup camera also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aftermarket vs Factory Sirius/XM Antenna Reception

Anyone have experience with installing aftermarket radio unit, that is connected to aftermarket antenna, as opposed to the factory antenna in the same general location. I have been told, reception on aftermarket antennas will be spotty, with hardtop installed...?

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
What's the hard top have to do with it? The antenna sits on the outside and a hard top should have no effect. I'm interested in hearing feedback on this as I'm considering an after market swap

·
Registered
92 Posts
Antenna would be installed on/in sound bar crossover affixed to metal roll bar, under hardtop...

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
If you look at the top of your sound bar it only wraps 3 sides of the metal and the hard top shouldn't interfere with reception at all. I thought you were talking about the standard radio antenna.

·
Registered
92 Posts
signal interferrence

I was told today by an installer from Best Buy, that he had experienced issues from customers with hard tops, who had random interference, with their hard top installed... just asking for other's actual experiences, when using Sirius/XM antennas installed on roll bar, under the hard top...to further clarify his comments, as related by one of his customers...

If you look at the top of your sound bar it only wraps 3 sides of the metal and the hard top shouldn't interfere with reception at all. I thought you were talking about the standard radio antenna.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts