Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our JKU parked at our hotel. When we called to have it brought around, we waited for quite some time. A gentleman walked around the corner and asked if we had another key fob, because the alarm was "going off" and he couldn't stop it or start the car. A few minutes later, my wife asked if that was our alarm and I thought it was. We walked around and found the man and another man standing at a JKU. As I walked up, I was going to get in, and saw that it was NOT my vehicle! It was a JKU, but not our JKU! I hit the panic button on my fob and found my vehicle.

My question is - has anyone ever heard of a key fob working for another Jeep? The gentleman said it unlocked the other Jeep but when he tried to start it, the alarm went off. Very odd, to say the least.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
One day last month I parked my JKU in a crowded lot. When I pressed the button on the key fob to lock it, four other cars in the lot beeped too. They weren't Jeeps.

I don't lock my JKU at home, nights. It is cheaper to have someone open the door and steal my flashlight than it is to have them smash a window and steal my flashlight. I live between two car dealers, one Ford and one Chevy. Most mornings guys go out on each dealer's lot with a huge ring of keys and test the keyless entries and start engines. On many of those mornings I find that my JKU is locked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It used to be more common when fobs were first being used. They are more creative about codes now but sometimes the codes are close enough that some functions will work between different rigs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
i remember in the early keyless door entry days and living near a military base there were complaints rampant about car alarms going off, being disarmed and doors unlocking randomly. Not only was this effecting the car alarms but garage doors were randomly opening and closing. It got so bad the local newspaper starting running stories on it issue and the local police warning people to unplug their auto garage doors.. After several months, it turned out the local military base was the culprit. Of course they never confessed to what type of testing they were doing to cause this issue, but the problems stoped. Not saying the problems could be from some type of interference but it could be?

·
Registered
253 Posts
With the new rolling code technology (over 10 years old) it is very unlikely that the fob worked on the other Jeep.

What I would assume happened is, if the Jeep they opened worked the same as my 08, that the Jeep they unlocked had previously been locked with the remote setting the factory alarm and they used the key to mechanically unlock the door and set off the alarm.

I know on my 08, if I lock the Jeep with the remote and unlock it with the key, then the alarm will sound until I put the key in the ignition and turn it on.

This is the downfall of the mechanical keys for most vehicles. The key code series that most Chrysler vehicles has used since 1998 only has 2,618 different key cut combinations. Imagine how many vehicles are made each year (let alone since 1998) and realize that they only had 2,618 different keys. Basically you have a 1 in 2,618 chance that your key will fit the locks on someone elses Chrysler vehicle made since 1998 (or their key will fit yours).

That is the reason they started using transponder technology with the chip in the key being programmed to each vehicle. Even though the key may fit and turn the lock, the vehicle will not start if the chip is not programmed to it.

Yes on the older vehicles (early-mid 90's) they did not have the rolling code technology for the remotes and one could operate many different random vehicles. I had a car alarm remote back in 90-92 that would open and close my neighbors garage door when I pressed the button and their garage door opener in their car would arm and disarm my alarm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My JKU is an '08 and the Jeep he tried to retrieve for us was an '11 or newer (updated interior). That was what gave me the aha moment. Mine is steel blue, and the other Jeep was a similar grey.

The only thing I know for sure is that the two guys were standing at the other Jeep when I walked up, discussing what had taken place as the alarm was still blaring. I used the key that I had and pressed the panic button to locate mine and left. Everything else was what the bellman told us.

What you stated makes perfect sense. I'm not sure if we were "that lucky" to find another Jeep that used the same code to unlock or if the the other Jeep cold have been unlocked and the bellman tried to use my key to start it and the alarm went off because it wasn't the correct chip. There are several scenarios I've thought of while reading the posts and generally thinking through it. Those two are the most probable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts