Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help,
I lost one of my keys whats the best way to get a new key fob.
Go to the dealer or purchase online. Please let me know I only have one
key now.
Thanks,
Al

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Theoretically, you can buy a cheap key on eBay and program it yourself (instructions are in the manual). However after trying two keys on my TJ and one on my JKU without luck in getting the keys to work, I gave up. I have two functional keys for both Jeeps and if I need a replacement, I will let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You have to have 2 keys in hand to program a new one yourself.(Edit: both keys must already be programmed to work with your jeep) Otherwise you will have to take it to the dealer and have them reset the original and add a new one.

I am in the same boat and have just been living with it but i'm terrified i'll loose my key and be SOL

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
When I bought my 2011 it only came with one fob.

I bought two cheap ones online from www.remotesremotes.com and took them to the dealer to cut and program.

I think the dealer charged me $60 to do both.

I've now got 3 working programmed keys and two generic keys that I can use to open my doors in case I lock my ignition key inside.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There is a new key program out now from Duracell. Find a true Value, Ace or major hardware chain (Do It Best, Orgill etc.) and see if you use Hillman products. (nuts and bolts and keys). If they don't have the program yet, they can get it or find one that does. Way cheaper than dealer prices and they can program to your jeep right there. It is a new program so they may not be up to speed on it yet.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Theoretically, you can buy a cheap key on eBay and program it yourself (instructions are in the manual). However after trying two keys on my TJ and one on my JKU without luck in getting the keys to work, I gave up. I have two functional keys for both Jeeps and if I need a replacement, I will let the dealer do it.
No this won't work as you'll need two (different i.e. like the orig set) keys that operate the vehicle to program a third.

I highly recommend when buying vehicle today you get a third key made and programmed at purchase. Duplicate keys using a cloning process with not work to program a third (using the instructions) by the owners manual.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,
Went to the dealership today $165.00 per key also had a door key made for emergency
lockouts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts