Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with this.i have a 2014 JKU Sport with basic 130 radio. For anyone that has installed one of these or similar sub,which speaker wires did you tap into and where? Pics would be a huge help if possible.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I Have the Kicker hideaway under my drivers seat, I tapped into both of the rear channels, both left and right. I did use a line output converter to change from speaker level to line level but the kicker can handle both types of inputs so you really don't have to do this. ( I only used the converter because I installed an amp for the other speakers)
as to where? I tapped into the wire harness right behind the head unit and ran my cables down through the console and then out next to the drivers seat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Have the Kicker hideaway under my drivers seat, I tapped into both of the rear channels, both left and right. I did use a line output converter to change from speaker level to line level but the kicker can handle both types of inputs so you really don't have to do this. ( I only used the converter because I installed an amp for the other speakers)
Did you tap into the rear speaker wires behind the head unit or somewhere else?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used the ground right next to the console under the seat, there is an existing ground on each side.
The kicker will turn itself on if you run speaker level input, I ran line level so I had to tap into a keyed 12v source (lighter socket in the dash) for signal to turn the kicker on.
I ran main power right from the battery, there is a hole you can poke through, hidden under the side dash panel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the ground right next to the console under the seat, there is an existing ground on each side. The kicker will turn itself on if you run speaker level input, I ran line level so I had to tap into a keyed 12v source (lighter socket in the dash) for signal to turn the kicker on. I ran main power right from the battery, there is a hole you can poke through, hidden under the side dash panel.
Cool,thanks for the info!

·
Registered
110 Posts
And how do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one or something similar to go under the seat.
I have a kicker hideaway under my pass seat. Sounds great, and is an easy install. I mounted the bass controller on the dash near the 4wd selector. I have an amp for the speakers under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
And how do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one or something similar to go under the seat.
I love mine, for my classic rock and some country it is the perfect amount of bass for me.
I did upgrade to the Polk speakers with amp as well so that adds some to the over all mix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know if I can access the rear speaker wires to splice into without having to pull the dash and head unit out?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got it installed based on what others did and it just won't work right. It constantly goes into protection mode no matter how low I set the gain. I even took the first one back and exchanged it for another one thinking it was defective. I know my wiring is good. I tried splicing into the soundbar speakers and front speakers. Same thing happens. My ground and power is good is has to be too hot of a signal coming from the speaker feeds

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well I got it installed based on what others did and it just won't work right. It constantly goes into protection mode no matter how low I set the gain. I even took the first one back and exchanged it for another one thinking it was defective. I know my wiring is good. I tried splicing into the soundbar speakers and front speakers. Same thing happens. My ground and power is good is has to be too hot of a signal coming from the speaker feeds
There is a switch on it that says input level that can be switched from hi or lo. Are you sure it is set to hi if you are using speaker level inputs? If it is set to low that would explain why it is going into protect as it is expecting a much lower signal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a switch on it that says input level that can be switched from hi or lo. Are you sure it is set to hi if you are using speaker level inputs? If it is set to low that would explain why it is going into protect as it is expecting a much lower signal.
I have it set to high. What ended up working was turning the bass down and fading the speakers to the rear a bit (I am spliced into the front speakers). Got the gain set up good where there is no clipping

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can you folks who have one of these share your settings on the head unit and Hideaway?
I have the head unit like this....

Trebble +4
Mid +2
Bass+2

I adjust the hideaway with the remote knob that I mounted in my dash near the 4wd selector. It varies based on what music I'm listening to. It's an easy on the fly adjustment.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts