Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys

I have a question about the kicker upgrade speakers. My 2017 jeep has the 8 speaker entry level system

I was looking at the kicker upgrade and those speakers have tweeters built in. I would think I would want them separate so I can mount them in the existing spots. I think I will have too much treble if I left the old teeeter s installed.

Am I correct on this?

Would component speakers be better in this set up since there's already separate slots?

Thanks

Lloyd

·
Registered
42 Posts
Disconnect the tweeters in the sound bar and roll bar. Replace the 2 speakers with new
Kickers or polk thats what I have,purchased at Crutchfeild. So that leaves 4 speakers
plus the 2 on the top dash. I replaced the top dash ones with a pair of tweeters purchased
from Quadratec. Sounds a little better but not enough power. Your right it very confusing
I spent hours of research and the only way to get a rocken system is to replace everything. Its requires removal of the head unit adding amps and a few more things.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Disconnect the tweeters in the sound bar and roll bar. Replace the 2 speakers with new
Kickers or polk thats what I have,purchased at Crutchfeild. So that leaves 4 speakers
plus the 2 on the top dash. I replaced the top dash ones with a pair of tweeters purchased
from Quadratec. Sounds a little better but not enough power. Your right it very confusing
I spent hours of research and the only way to get a rocken system is to replace everything. Its requires removal of the head unit adding amps and a few more things.
I agree with this.

To expand on that a bit, when you separate the tweeter from the midrange, the sound stage is improved and the music doesn't sound as localized. I think this is a necessity for the front speakers but kind of a waste of money for the ones in the soundbar. I went with the standard Kicker coax speakers for the soundbar but then added some Morel components for the front.

Also, what Jeep is calling a "tweeter" is kind of misleading. The stock tweeters are paper cone drivers that probably don't have much response above 10kHz. A real tweeter usually plays about twice as high as that which makes cymbals and other high frequency stuff sound more life like.

So going with almost any aftermarket speaker will be an improvement over stock, but it becomes a lot more noticeable when you add an amplifier.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Which Morel did you go with?

Did you go with an amp?

thanks!
Morel Maximo 6 in front Running off of a Pioneer 4200 NEX deck. The Pioneer has a little more output than the stock deck, but external amplifiers will be added before the end of the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts