Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys - just picked up my 2013 JK2D a couple weeks ago. Haven’t done much yet to it, but figured I’d keep track of the progress here. So far all I’ve done is add a 67 Designs phone mount, some safari straps, and did a DIY color matched mesh grille backing. My JKS JSPEC 2.5” life arrived yesterday, and I have wheels and tires on the way. Not going super big on this for a while, so I went with the 315/70r17 Kumho Road Venture MT’s, and for a wheel I chose the RPB 94R in black with inserts I plan on color matching to the rig. They’re a 17x9 with -12 offset and 4.5 BS so I think they’ll look pretty legit, we will see. Anyway, here’s some pics so far, and look forward to adding more as I go. 👍🏼👍🏼

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will say this, I’m incredibly impressed with the 68 Designs mount. I’ve seen a lot of photos or videos that talk about how solid the mount is, which it is very solid. But most posts don’t refer to how well the actual clamp/holder for the phone works. Virtually no vibration and the phone doesn’t move at all once clamped in. I couldn’t be happier for the price even though it was high. Here’s some other photos of the color matched grille process (gutter guard, color matched paint/clear coat, zip ties and zip tie holders, some 3M heavy duty adhesive tape to reinforce the lousy tape on the holders, and overall a simple and fairly cheap mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also wouldn’t be a build thread if I didn’t include some pics of parts in the box as they arrive on the front porch. Here’s the JKS lift, my new grab bars, and my rock light kit. I’ve also attached a pic for reference of a JK running the tire/size I’ll be running, as well as a photo of the wheels I chose. Look forward to getting it all installed in the coming weeks! 😌

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Small and easy, yet still useful mod. Installed some of these Wild Boar grab handles. They were super cheap (like $30), but they're very solid, and the install was pretty quick (maybe 15 mins most, way easier to use a dril). Anyway, they turned out pretty good. :bop:
And apologies the photos flipped for some reason when uploading the attachments. :pc-ouch:

Temp1.jpg

Temp2.jpg

Temp3.jpg

Temp4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,593 Posts
Thanks sir! How do I avoid this auto flip in the future:pcwhack:
It's an iPhone thing, if you change the direction you hold it when shooting a pic it should work. Or you can manually rotate them in photoshop or similar.

From Geek.com:

Why has my iPhone forsaken me?

The issue originated back when iOS 5 was released, because the operating system introduced the culprit: the ability to snap a photo with the phone’s volume up button. Basically, the camera’s sensor doesn’t realize when you rotate the phone to take a picture. Supposedly, your phone doesn’t correct the orientation itself because doing so would make it harder for the phone to take another picture immediately after the last. Instead, the iPhone writes the orientation info to the EXIF data of the image.

The reason why the images flip when you email them or transfer them to certain operating systems is because not all environments acknowledge EXIF data. This means that the orientation tags aren’t being acknowledged.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got notification from the local tire shop that my Kumho's have arrived - still awaiting the wheels. Also ordered my hi-lift, hi-lift hood mounts, DV8 tire carrier, and Poison Spyder hood louver today. Can't wait to get it all in so I can deliver some material that might be somewhat entertaining to read. :drinks:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well the Poison Spyder hood louver arrived today so decided to knuckle down and tackle the install. Lot of careful layout of the template, pre-hole-punching, hole-saw-drilling, drawing cut lines, actual cutting, drilling all the bolt holes and back on. Took me about 3 hours (was actually my first time to ever use an angle grinder - used a 4.5" grinder with thin cut-off wheel and it did the trick just fine). Was a lot of hands-on fun and very happy with the turnout. If the images upload crooked, can someone please change the orientation? Thanks for looking :drinks:

After hole-saw-drilling:

Temp1.jpg

A little cutting action:

13 JK Hood Before Cutting.jpg

After cuts:

Temp2.jpg

Finished product:

13 JK Hood After.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Well the Poison Spyder hood louver arrived today so decided to knuckle down and tackle the install. Lot of careful layout of the template, pre-hole-punching, hole-saw-drilling, drawing cut lines, actual cutting, drilling all the bolt holes and back on. Took me about 3 hours (was actually my first time to ever use an angle grinder - used a 4.5" grinder with thin cut-off wheel and it did the trick just fine). Was a lot of hands-on fun and very happy with the turnout. If the images upload crooked, can someone please change the orientation? Thanks for looking :drinks:

After hole-saw-drilling:

View attachment 4159973

A little cutting action:

View attachment 4159975

After cuts:

View attachment 4159977

Finished product:

View attachment 4159979
Nice work Sam:thumb: Love the contrast of the black on there!

-Steven

·
Super Moderator
15,593 Posts
Looking good!!

If the images upload crooked, can someone please change the orientation?
If it happens again just click on the
icon and let us know :thumb:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made some progress. Got my DV8 tire carrier on last night. Install was terrible - not sure if I just got one with some slight warps or what, but it fought me every step of the way. Seems like a solid piece - powder coating could be better but isn’t terrible. It’s opening and closing now just fine and haven’t had any rattling in the short driving I’ve done so far. Also installed the 315/70r17 Kumho Road Venture MT’s on my RBP 94R wheels (17x9, -12 offset). Looks good. Hopefully throwing on the old JKS lift soon. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts