Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so got this weird problem. 2012 JKU, manual. Stock with some 33s.

It's pretty random and I can cause it to happen maybe 1 out of 5 or 6 tries. In 4th gear, around 1500 rpms and a slightly heavy foot on the gas pedal. Or I'm climbing a hill (usually in 3rd gear), speed and rpm drops a bit and I give it some gas gas. So far it's happened in gears 2 through 4. First gear seems ok. Haven't tried with 5th.

The engine sounds like it's surging and revving really fast. Immediately followed by a single thump, like hard cover book dropped on the floor. Then I lose acceleration, lose engine power but don't stall and the vehicle does this slight lurch, kinda like the clutch got dropped with the rpm too low. A couple seconds later, everything is back to normal.

No codes, no check engine lights. I double checked with a diagnostics scanner and the whole turn key on and off 3 times thing. Nothing reported.

Any idea what would be causing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine does/did something similar on the highway at 60mph. It eventually coded to a clutch/overdrive issue. There is a flash the dealer can do to help but mine has not gone completely away.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You most likely have an issue that a dealer has to take care of, but you can try this and see if it helps:

How To Calibrate Your Throttle:

1- Turn the ignition to the "on" position (not accessory).
2- Wait for all of the dash lights to turn off (check engine light will stay on).
3- Depress the accelerator very slowly all the way to the floor.
4- Release the accelerator at the same slow rate.
5- Turn the ignition off.
6- Start the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts