Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fred1 and I are going out Thursday evening and staying till Saturday morning. Anyone going and does anyone who's going want to set up a camp somewhere for a night or two?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I'll be there, probably getting there mid-Thursday afternoon. I am one of the checkpoint volunteer guys so I'm going to be pretty busy with pre-race meetings and manning a check point all day Friday. So I may be hard to find until after the race. Not sure where I'll be camped yet, but I'll probably be at N34 23.999 W116 31.962 which is where I normally camp with friends when doing JV. That spot is at the base of one of the mountains.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey Jerry, Is your normal camping spot near Hammertown? Near the checkpoint that you will be working? Or near any recommended viewing spots? We have never camped or Jeeped in JV. Any help is appreciated.

Fred1 and Kota7x

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Hey Jerry, Is your normal camping spot near Hammertown? Near the checkpoint that you will be working? Or near any recommended viewing spots? We have never camped or Jeeped in JV. Any help is appreciated.

Fred1 and Kota7x
That spot I gave the lat/long to is perhaps a mile at the most from Hammer town so it's away from all the traffic. It's not near any of the checkpoints and I don't even know what check point I'll be assigned to yet. It's wide-open camping out there so long as you're not near the race course, in the canyons, or in Hammer town.

This will help... Spectator Info | King of the Hammers

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I just learned my check point will be #2 up by Resolution. The good news is the race vehicles aren't expected to be there until maybe 11am so I can sleep in a little Friday morning to get it opened at 10am. The bad news is I'll be there until 10pm Friday evening when it officially closes for any remaining stragglers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey Jerry, Are you going to camp at your posted GPS coordinates? I am showing them to be about 1.5 miles from Resolution.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Hey Jerry, Are you going to camp at your posted GPS coordinates? I am showing them to be about 1.5 miles from Resolution.
The coordinates I posted above are for where I camp when doing JV, not the check point itself.

Near as I can tell, CP2 is pretty close to 34° 25.222'N 116° 31.709'W. Does that match up with your GPS?

Fred, do I know you from JU/Blaine J's crowd?

·
Registered
640 Posts
No Jerry, you met my son and I at the 5th meet and greet in Big Bear. My son was wearing the PELIGROSO baseball cap. He has an '04, silver, LJ and I have a '98, white, TJ. The numbers for Resolution are N 34 25.299 W 116 31.506 1.56 miles from your camping numbers. We are going to try and go around the back of the mountain to get to the top of Resolution on Friday morning for a good view of the race. We will be camping Thursday and Friday nights. (not sure where yet)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I went to work yesterday, but on the 215, I saw vehicles driving to the event in the morning, and on my way home...The point is, I will be there next year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts