Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinked my winch line in three spots yesterday, what effect will this have? Also, i borrowed a tow strap from a neighbor, but what do i need strap wise that i can attach to something to pull myself out?

EDIT: sorry didnt mean to post this but i do actually need a strap.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Kinked cables aren't a precursor of doom or anything if it just a "Kink"... If there are only a couple of broken strands, you may need to consider repairing the area (Clipping the wires to avoid injury). If there are multiple broken strands in the wire, you should consider replacing the winch cable before putting it under load. If you snap a cable, you are in for a very bad day!

Look for a recovery kit that has a tree saver strap, a snatch block, a line dampner, and a good tow strap to start out with. You'll find other items useful as you start getting things together, such as D-Rings, snatch straps, receiver shackles, etc.

Check here for a place to start Jeep Recovery Straps, D-ring Shackles, Mounts, Recovery Kits, Tow Hooks

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you kinked it. It’s Garbage unless you have it cut and repaired with a new thimble at that point. At no time should you ever rely on a line that has been kinked. The moment it fails will be the moment you find yourself or a friend with 1/2 a limb missing. Do some research....?

Personally, Now’s a great time to plead your case to the Miss's as to why you need a new Amsteel or equivalent....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts