Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start any flame wars, currently running 33x12.50r15 MTZ and I love them but they are super soft and seem like the rocks in AZ chunk and slice them easy

Looking to upgrade to 35's, debating between KM2 and MTZ. I don't care about road manners, looking mostly for performance on rocks

What do you all recommend? Anyone have experience with both tread?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I ran KM2s in "E" load range 305/70/17 all over the desert SouthWest, from Moab to DeathValley to Sedona to God forsaken parts unknown and they did great. So much so when I moved over to 315/70/17 ATZ P3s we put our used but still in good condition 305 KM2s on my wife's JK. The only issue we had with the BFG KM2 was on icy roads. Since we like our winter sports and use our JKU more for family trips to the snow the KM2s had to go.

Even though you said you're looking at KM2s and MTZs. A lot of folks love the MT/Rs and swear by them in the rocks.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I understand complaint your complaint about chunking. The MTZs my favorite tire do well on rocks but the KM2s (current tires) are better and it is for two reasons. The relatively soft rubber compound grips to the hard surface of rocks and the tread pattern allows the tread to mold and bend around the irregular shapes of rocks when you air down. The lack of siping reduces the chunking. They also have reinforced sidewalls to reduce damage. They are not bomb proof but they do provide great traction. The KM2's are based on the legendary Krawlers.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a really tough choice, the Internet has a lot of back and forth banter on the subject but I ended up going with MTR with kevlar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts