Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
99 TJ Wrangler... 3 Speed Auto.... 4 lt 6 cyliner... when i put in gear (D) thrz a knock or hit.. the jeep literally moves up n down when this happens..... this also happens when i put it in reverse.... if i park it on a slope and try to engage the gears the when i pass the reverse n put it D, the reverse makes such a knock tht i worry if somethin is gona break.... thrz a shop i go to... (rather went to, crooks) says thts a common problem in a TJ... it happens cause because it a 3 speed.... so this is whr i stand... any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Not common in TJs. Check your rear control arms for movement (bushings) for play and check your U Joints for play. Almost sounds like control arms. Mine did that when I broke them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a knocking when I accelerated hard, or when I went over bumps. It turned out to be my transmission mount was broke.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Checked my control arm bushes and they all look fine to me. I did try to move them sidewards, nothin happened. Do i have to get the wheels of the ground be4 i try to chk for control arm bushes? Also, this morning when i check my drive shaft for play i found that it really really turn a lot. Lot of play. Could this be the reason for the clunk of knock when i engage the gears?

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
I had a knocking when I accelerated hard, or when I went over bumps. It turned out to be my transmission mount was broke.
I would first check the transmission mount before I worry about the driveline. Make certain the mount is bolted both to the Transmission and the frame. Make certain as well that it is not cracked or even entirely broken. You may have to drop the skidplate to make a thorough inspection. If that checks out than maybe some slop in the driveline may be the answer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
check your u-joints, if there worn out the needle bearings discinagrate and leaves room for it to slap back and forth in the caps while shifting between different gears. even if your not moving once you put it in gear it puts a load on the drive shaft causing it to want to turn. if they are bad you can usually see it be cause they will not bet squared up in the yokes like a plus sign. also you can see rust and metal dust around the caps because of the lack of grease. if they are bad replace immediately befor the caps break and start wearing on your yoke. i have had this happen to me in a rear wheel drive muscle car. if your u-joints are good check your transmission monting brackets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts