Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen alot of people on here say its most likley the throw out bearing. My question is, shall I make priority to fix it or not? How long could it be like that? Is it detrimental to my jeeps' overall health?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Does it disappear when you push in the clutch? I've had that problem forever. I've change out the clutch and all bearings when i had to and the sound is still there. figured it was just a jeep thing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
A knocking sound is not normal but a spinning bearing sound that goes away when you step on the clutch pedal is 100% normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I shouldnt worry about it... I have a list of appearance changes I want to fulfill. But whats the point of it looking good if it dont run good. Just trying to prioritize.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that if I slightly push the clutch the sound goes away even after I let go of the clutch. If I completly press it, when I release it comes back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if it might help, it started doing it after being put under some pressure. I was stuck in an akward position, in the process of geting pulled out I noticed that. And I had some oil come out of my rear main seal if im not mistaken, ive cleaned the area and theres no permanent leak. So I just changed the oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same issue, and have had it for about a thousand miles, foot off the clutch (engaged) rattle, foot on the clutch (disengaged) no rattle. It's the throw out bearing spinning and it is just worn out, something to eventually be done, but it's not going to stop working for a little while. If you get the chance to do it, I would, but I wouldn't fret over it, unless of course you've been driving on it for 10 thousand miles lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive only driven it about 15 miles, its my weekend driver. I dont drive my vehicles during the work week. Saves me from adding unesessary miles to it. Ive just been paranoid since the "incident"...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I have the same issue, and have had it for about a thousand miles, foot off the clutch (engaged) rattle, foot on the clutch (disengaged) no rattle. It's the throw out bearing spinning and it is just worn out, something to eventually be done, but it's not going to stop working for a little while. If you get the chance to do it, I would, but I wouldn't fret over it, unless of course you've been driving on it for 10 thousand miles lol
You have it a little back asswards there, throw-out bearing should only make noise when the clutch is depressed, as that is when the bearing is spinning. Otherwise it is disengaged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have it a little back asswards there, throw-out bearing should only make noise when the clutch is depressed, as that is when the bearing is spinning. Otherwise it is disengaged.
You are correct to a point, the throw out bearing is still spinning regardless of its position. They can make noise either way depending on which portion of the bearing is bad. They can rattle at rest, or they can grind/ whir when the pedal is pushed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the rattle does intensify a little while I take off. Once im moving its non existant, or I cant hear it at least.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You are correct to a point, the throw out bearing is still spinning regardless of its position. They can make noise either way depending on which portion of the bearing is bad. They can rattle at rest, or they can grind/ whir when the pedal is pushed.
The bearing does not spin when the clutch is engaged, it only spins up when depressed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It could be something as minor as a broken clutch return spring in the bell housing, in which case, it's just more annoying than anything else. If that's what it is, it won't hurt anything. Watch the last few minutes of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXhdAG3qaE
That spring is there to hold the clutch arm on the pivot arm untill the tranny has been stabbed, it isn't a return spring.
The pressure of the slave cyclinder rod keeps constant pressure on the pivot side and the throwout bearing is turning the whole time the motor is running.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
That spring is there to hold the clutch arm on the pivot arm untill the tranny has been stabbed, it isn't a return spring.
The pressure of the slave cyclinder rod keeps constant pressure on the pivot side and the throwout bearing is turning the whole time the motor is running.
You probably should go ahead and let Chrysler know that they are wrong and used the wrong terminology in the FSM. The fact is, that it is a return spring and if you have the transmission out sitting on the floor and pull the throw out arm forward, the spring will in fact pull the arm back when you release. If the slave cylinder maintained pressure on the throwout arm to keep the opposite end against the ball, it would also force the throwout bearing to constantly ride on the pressure plate, which it doesn't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It could be something as minor as a broken clutch return spring in the bell housing, in which case, it's just more annoying than anything else. If that's what it is, it won't hurt anything. Watch the last few minutes of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXhdAG3qaE
Ive watched the video and it makes perfect sense, I beleive im ready to diagnose. Now the question is, is it a must fix asap kind of problem? Or can it run like that? Thanks for the vid recomendation, and help Water Dog.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should rephrase the question as its already answered, noticed after posting. Will it affect the longevity of the system?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Ive watched the video and it makes perfect sense, I beleive im ready to diagnose. Now the question is, is it a must fix asap kind of problem? Or can it run like that? Thanks for the vid recomendation, and help Water Dog.
If that is in fact the problem, it won't hurt a thing to run it like that. The spinning pressure plate will keep the throw out bearing thrown off, it's mostly just the noise you'll have to live with. Typically the noise that is associated with a broken return spring is kind of a rattle...not sure if that is what you have or not.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts