Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 manual tranny Jeep that has been knocking while the jeep is moving, its a physical knock you can slightly feel and hear while moving at low speeds. Particularly while slowing down for a stop. I can't decide if it goes away when you speed up or if it just gets masked by the engine noise. It happens whether I have the clutch in or not. I thought it might be the common flexplate issue, but it seems that it knocks (if its the flexplate), when its stopped as well. I can't do the redneck of stethoscoping with a stick because it only happens while moving.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that out. Its a rhythmic knocking that slows down as I slow down. Its knocking me for a loop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump. This is bugging me because it is so close to the common cracked flex plate issue that people seem to have with jeeps

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a similar knocking while moving would get faster with road speed increase after about 25 mph I couldn't hear it anymore probably because of my soft top but it ended up being the front driveshaft u-joint on the front axle I also had a vibration mainly in the steering wheel and and the pedals check the joints by moving them up and down and side to side if there is any movement I'd say that's the knocking your hearing very easy to change just need a hammer and a few sockets good luck

·
Registered
238 Posts
In my experience, a bad trans mount was allowing the front drive shaft to make contact with the trans skid plate

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know, manual's dont have flex plates. Its a solid flywheel. Good luck with the hunt!
Good call, they don't. Manuals have flywheels. I believe they both tend to have the same issue though.

Thanks guys, I will check out my u-joints. The knocking is up front, so maybe that will help.

86skl, you had to remount your tranny? I checked for knocking there, but it might be worth rechecking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just finally got some time to muck around with it. My front u-joint is shot. I have a fair amount of play in the u-joint connecting to the front differential. I thought it was odd that the front u-joint was the one that was shot. Since it is the least used not being in 4wd 24/7. Going to have to figure out how to replace them without a vice. :/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huh, i am at only 100k miles. Brand spankin new, i just thought 100k was early for it to be going out. It seems like Jeeps go earlier I guess.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Huh, i am at only 100k miles. Brand spankin new, i just thought 100k was early for it to be going out. It seems like Jeeps go earlier I guess.
I just turned 66,000 and had to redo mine. Mine was one of the u joints in the cv. I replaced all of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally getting around to updating for anyone who stumbles across this via google. It was a u joint. Front, crawled under and could shake the drive shaft. She drives like butter now. Or, well maybe not quite. Its a jeep.

Not im getting a very similar catching noise from my brakes when going slow and braking hard. Going to have to figure this out too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts