Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone thats gone from a Duratrac to a KO2: How do they compare in the snow?
Im super happy with my Duratracs, finishing up on my second set on my JK. Im up to over 120k miles on it now and thinking on moving on in the next year or two. Need some new tires before long and was thinking of changing to a KO2 to save myself $200 on the set. Im in New England and my Duratracs are unstoppable in the snow. The KO2s need to be at least as good. $200 is $200, but Id rather not skimp if they really blow in the winter. At least with tht DTs, I know what Ive got

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Did you get 60k on each set of duratracs? Am i reading that correct? What tread depth are you keeping the tires until?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, just about 60k. Dont know the depth, havent checked specifically, but they are getting a bit squirrely. Probably can get through this winter with them, but will need something soon-ish. I probably got 65k on the other set and these are wearing just about the same.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,451 Posts
Agreed @Victor Ward. I've run both and had equal respect for them (minus the weak sidewalls) I only got rid of mine because I crawl a little more than daily driving it and have had them blow on the trail a bit. If mine was still a daily I'd rock them. Heck if I can squeeze either one on a civic, I'd go buy a civic and slap them on there hahah.

-Julia

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agreed @Victor Ward. I've run both and had equal respect for them (minus the weak sidewalls) I only got rid of mine because I crawl a little more than daily driving it and have had them blow on the trail a bit. If mine was still a daily I'd rock them. Heck if I can squeeze either one on a civic, I'd go buy a civic and slap them on there hahah.

-Julia
Yup, I've sliced sidewalls on both sets too but regardless, they provide solid grip off-road, they are great on-road and discount covers the sidewall slashes of you buy the "certs" which I do and its paid off. A reminder that the spare tire delete is a poor life decision

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,451 Posts
Yup, I've sliced sidewalls on both sets too but regardless, they provide solid grip off-road, they are great on-road and discount covers the sidewall slashes of you buy the "certs" which I do and its paid off. A reminder that the spare tire delete is a poor life decision
Don't ever spare tire delete! WISE words! But yea @R4D4R the duratracs and k02s have both seen VT winters and still do great (from what the fam says too) so either one will do well. Honestly, if it was me, it would come down to where will put them on and balance them for the best rate.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks y'all's. Looks like my decision is made. I usually do DTD, and my local garage mounts for $20 a tire, so I'll probably go that route.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I found the DuraTracs to be better in the snow than the KO2. If the DT's didn't get so loud after 15K or so, I'd run them on everything I have. If Blizzaks are a 10, the DT's are 8 and KO2s are 6.5 in my experience. I actually have a new truck now and am debating tires since the stockers are embarrassigly and scary bad in snow.

Reactions: yj94ne

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I am in my second winter with KO2s. Truth is I have not been it a lot of snow yet in either year. However, I will say for sure that the Duratracs do have much more road noise than the KO2s and with the limited snow/ice I have had I have no complaints with the KO2s. I do not plan on going back to Duratracs even if the KO2s slip a bit. The road noise I got on my old set of Duratracs was just nuts.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My ko2s were awesome in Vermont and NH winters for 2 years. They lasted near 70k miles, but didn't have my size so I had to get toyo oc atiii and they are even better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 JK
148 Posts
Don't ever spare tire delete! WISE words! But yea @R4D4R the duratracs and k02s have both seen VT winters and still do great (from what the fam says too) so either one will do well. Honestly, if it was me, it would come down to where will put them on and balance them for the best rate.
Rotate your ****ing spare, too!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I always thought Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure ProGrade tires with the mountain snowflake symbol were the cat's pajamas. They did good on my trucks in the snow but after over 50,000 miles on my JK with them they started wearing funny and got worse in the wind and snow...though I had 11/32 of tread (5 tire rotation). Turns out the load range E is no good on a JK because of the weight. Tires were not making a full patch contact on hard surfaces. They never left me stranded off-road. Girlfriend's JK Winter Edition came with KO2s. She ran circles around me in the snow and wind. End of summer came and I bought 5ea of the same KO2s. Ran them in CO, WY, and UT in the mountains and all over WI's forests where I live. I love them. They do seem to be wearing a bit faster than my Goodyears did though.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Simply put, Loud tires mean that they have better grip. If said tire gets louder as they age you have 2 things to look at, improper tire pressure cause uneven wear, or not rotating enough. Duratracs rotated every 5,000klm/3,000miles will wear nice and even when run at the proper pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I rotated my Duratracs like clockwork every 3,000 miles. They produce much more road noise as they age. Sorry, I have had two vehicles with Duratracs. KO2s are much quieter. Now, I cannot speak for the snow as much but others have. I will add that I had trouble with the initial KOs or KO1. They did not have the grip of the Duratracs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've run 6 or 7 sets of DTs across two vehicles....here is what I can positively tell you:

1. DTs do not like narrow rims. They bulge in the middle and the perimeter lugs smack pavement.
2. Rotate or they will scream at you
3. Passed 50% they get hard and shiney
4. They don't balance or road force well
5. The sidewalls are just fine for all but sharp rocks.
6. They are hands down the best snow/ice/moderate mud tire.
7. It is an old design that needs to be updated.

9. The quality became far worse as time went on...harder to keep round, harder to keep lugs attached. The wear became more uneven too.

10. I will never buy another set of DTs.

I never destroyed a tire on a trail, but skewered several with steel, huge bolts etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Give a look at Tire Rack's ratings for AT tires. You can compare numerous tire brands/models for various sizes. They compile customer reviews and rate each tire over various criteria. I was always a fan of the General Grabber AT2 in On-Off Road All Terrain, but now they have a ATX that ranks 2nd overall just below the #1 Pirelli (the BFG KO2 ranks 7th and the Duratrac is listed #1 in Commercial On-Off Road Traction, but not as highly recommended as the top On-Off Road All Terrain tires). Also look at the General Grabber X3, which rated #1 in Off-Road maximum Traction.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts