Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright let's give this a try and see how it works! I am a noob to Jeeps and have only had my first since October. I am planning on doing a slow build so this may not be all that exciting for some. I do have the bug but am still not sure how far I am going to take this as it is my DD. I guess I should clarify that this is not my first jeep...if you ask my 5 year old he will tell you it is his! :) I'll start this with the first pic being the day we picked it up at the dealership with 78,000 miles on her. I guess I need to start changing my sig too.:iamhappy:

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 1st mod is a practical one since winter was coming and I knew the stock floor mats would not be up to the task of handling the snow and salt. The wife agreed so I ordered the Qtech floor mats and cargo mats. When I ordered I got the entry guards for free so I put those on too. I am very happy with the fit and finish and they handled the snow and salt very well. I just had some good weather today so I pulled them out and just hosed them off! I managed to talk the boss lady into the Qtech grab handles (easier for her to get in). I was completely surprised when she also agreed to a Daystar dash tray! Score for me so I completed that order!:jawdrop:

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Congratulations! Off to a good start! :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay next mods / fixes were not documented with pictures as they were not that exciting. I did the poly fill mod for the overhead speakers and sub. To be honest I did not really notice a difference in the sound system as I thought it sounded pretty decent from the beginning. I also disassembled the radio as I had a CD stuck in the 6 disk changer and was tired of hearing the unit try and load it every time I started and shut off the Jeep. I had to tear the face off the unit and managed to get the CD out and not only that I was able to get it functioning again! Glad to do this as I hated to get a different head unit although I would have like to have a nav unit so that I could have a back up camera. The plastic rear window gets dirty quick and makes backing a pain. I will look at doing something in the future as I really don't want to back over anyone. :) I did buy these for the tweeter mod that I learned from reading Pressureized post. I have not gotten out the soldering iron yet so these will go in soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next mod was going to be more out of necessity. I had a leak at the drivers door that would drip off the door handle and splash all over the driver seat. The weather changed just after I got it so I was not able to drop the top and see if I could determine what I needed to replace. I finally got some good weather so I flipped the top back and noticed a small hole in the rubber channel. I put some silicone in it as a temporary fix but it did not take care of the leak.:censored: I went on line and found one on amazon and placed the order. I managed to sneak an Antenna X 13" in the order and the boss lady didn't seem to care. The order came in and I got another good day so I flipped the top back to see what it was going to take to replace the weather stripping. I compared the drivers side to the passenger side (had done this the last time and didn't notice anything) and noticed the foam pad at the joint was not in the same place on the drivers side as what it was the passenger side. I was able to pull it off and put it in the correct location. It has rained once and I cleaned it today and no leaks!! :bop: So $45 seal still sitting on the dinning room table that I hope I do not need to put on. Below is a pic of the new antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will probably be the last post for a little while as I have some decisions to make. I found a good deal on some Fuel Lethal 17x9s so I pulled the trigger but they only had 4. I can get the 5th for the same price as the others if I get the tires and sensors through them. I am frugal (cheap) and they didn't have the tires I wanted. I am now doing my homework to see where I can get the tires and the TPMS sensors. I don't want to get everyone excited as I am looking to go with 33s as I am still stock and it is my DD. I have been looking at leveling kits and lifts and have not made up my mind yet. I am leaning towards the leveling kit and just see what she is capable of since I have not been off-roading yet. I am also then looking to get a programmer so that I can do the correction for the tire size and calibrate the sensors to my vehicle. Decisions-Decisions! I managed to find a local crew that works on each others rides, eats out together-last event had 102 JKs, and just hang out and go off-roading. I have not met with the group yet due to my work schedule but did get the badges so I got them on today. The pics below are of the new rims and the badges. I will of course come back and update this once I get everything figured out and put on. :beerdrinking:

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
225 Posts
Fellow CJKC member here! Like the direction you are going with.

If it is the TF leveling kit you are looking at with the 33's, let me know!! That may be my route.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on the first pic you look awfully young to be driving....

:D

Like those wheels!
Thanks Blue...he likes his new wheels too!! He keeps asking me when we are going to go out and put them on. He thinks I can pull the tires off my old wheels and we can put them on. Took him for a ride with the top back this past weekend and he loved it! I think he likes it better than the 1988 Mustang GT convertible he let go to get this!:):happyyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fellow CJKC member here! Like the direction you are going with.

If it is the TF leveling kit you are looking at with the 33's, let me know!! That may be my route.
Hey Cinci!! we'll have to meet up some time at a S&G or J&J sometime - If I can ever get out of work during one of those events. I keep going back and fourth and yes I have looked at the TF leveling kit and I have even debated on the springs vs. puck leveling kits. I think I eventually want to get bumpers both front and back but that is probably further down the road. I just don't want to waste money...I like to do it right the first time and not buy it twice.:awesome: I know once I go to a S&G I will be able to see everything all together and be able to decide the direction I want to go.:beerdrinking: If we both get them close to the same time we will have to do a build party and get them both done!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay! So here is the latest update. I am still looking at sensors- not sure if I have the courage to buy them on [email protected] and put them on myself. Also still debating on tires right now as I am torn between the Duratec and the KM02s in 33. I did manage to have my lovely wife(had to change this as she was not happy after reading my post calling her the old lady-life rule #1 Happy wife Happy life) agree to let me get a Dirty Dog sun screen for the front and back seats as my wife is fair skinned. I ordered from Qtec but it is back ordered so no pics yet but will get one up when it comes in. I am also able to get her an Ace Lava Jacket for her upcoming birthday as she is cold blooded and that would cut into my son and my topless time.:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today was a good day! After much debate on what to do with the sensors I talked to one of the tire stores and they said as long as I was buying the tires from them that they would pull my old sensors out of my wheels and mount them in the new ones. I ordered 285/70r17 Toyo AT2s from them and they came in last night. I set up an appointment for this morning and got them mounted!:awesome: My 5th wheel was on backorder and just found out that it was cancelled by the seller since they could not get them. I have my order back in for one so when it comes in they will mount, balance, and sensor change which they will do for free. They do stick out a little more than I was thinking they would but I still really like the look. And of course they are Joshua approved as it is his jeep! :) Brown Santa also showed up today and delivered my Dirty Dog shade but the weather has not been good enough to get it put on so I will update with pictures when I get time to put it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time for a quick update. I got my 5th wheel in and mounted so all that is good. I finally got a day of great weather and completely dropped the top for the first time. While it was down I installed my Dirty Dog shade and I took it out for a test. It was very quiet with no flapping and I was able to leave it in place when I put the top up. I think it is going to work great. I also bought a flash pack to calibrate the speedometer with the new tires. I put it on the 87 tune and noticed a good increase in power. I have yet to go through a tank yet to see if I get any mileage gains but I will report in another update. I don't have time to post the pictures for the upgrades but I will get them posted later.:iamhappy:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Today was a good day! After much debate on what to do with the sensors I talked to one of the tire stores and they said as long as I was buying the tires from them that they would pull my old sensors out of my wheels and mount them in the new ones. I ordered 285/70r17 Toyo AT2s from them and they came in last night. I set up an appointment for this morning and got them mounted!:awesome: My 5th wheel was on backorder and just found out that it was cancelled by the seller since they could not get them. I have my order back in for one so when it comes in they will mount, balance, and sensor change which they will do for free. They do stick out a little more than I was thinking they would but I still really like the look. And of course they are Joshua approved as it is his jeep! :) Brown Santa also showed up today and delivered my Dirty Dog shade but the weather has not been good enough to get it put on so I will update with pictures when I get time to put it on.
Love those wheels!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love those wheels!
Thanks Luvn! The only thing I don't like about them is how tight the valve stems are to the wheel. They don't have them angled out like other rims, they go right up straight to the main supports of the wheel. I think this is going to make it a PITA to air up and down for the trails. I still haven't been so far but I hope to soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:drinks:Okay time for the Pics update that I promised! I did get the spare mounted and also have the Dirty Dog shade in place. I was able to have good weather 1 day so I put the top all the way down for the first time and installed the shade. I took it out for a ride and had no flapping or noise from the shade. I have been away for a little while so that is why there was a delay in the pics and I still have not went through a tank to see if I got any mileage gains from the Flashpac.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts