Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting one of these for a LONG time. My dad is a contractor at Ft Polk and has been trying to find one for me, but has been unsuccessful. Well, we finally found some on ebay that were listed locally (to him) in LA and grabbed one back in March. It was a little more than we wanted to spend, but it had all of the original parts. The tub is a little beat up, but I'm not taking it to parades, I'm going to use it!

We finally transported it from LA to GA... in the back of truck!

I have decided to paint it Oregano, which is a spray paint from Home Depot. It matches my Commando closely. Once it warms up again next year, I'll be using raptor liner in the bed. I need to get some new tires one day, but I won't be taking it on the interstate any time soon. Eventually, I'll stuff some modern LEDs inside the original taillight housings, for now, the Harbor Freight lights will work.

All wiring was removed and new installed.
Here’s what it looked like the first time I saw it, back in August. My dad did some work on it, mainly repacking the bearings.

Found this nice hook.. too bad I don’t have a bro-mobile F250 to put it on :D

So many layers of paint! That aircraft paint remover works great:

This is how we transported it from LA to GA:

Original lights. I want to put LED’s inside of them at some point.

So much paint to remove. As you can see, my dad pulled the fenders off and put some paint on them

Mine has been modded with tie down points welded throughout. It’s no longer water proof, but I don’t care about floating this thing!

Guess they didn’t see the drain plugs, as someone drilled two holes to let the water drain

Original data plate. I’ll have to get a new one.

Some original lettering

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sits well behind my JK. The ground is un-level… it sits fine

Removed tub from frame to work on frame first:

Removed all small parts that would come off

More lettering

Spent a few hours using my 3500psi pressure washer on it. I got a lot of old paint off, but that was just the beginning.

Can you see the star?

Wheel came out pretty good!

As did the frame:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After heavy cleaning and degreasing, some wire wheel work, I went over the entire frame with Rustoleum Rust Reformer

Original lunette

Finished off the frame with rattle can bed liner

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Painted my wheels.. it was the closest color I could find to my Fuels

Wheel and body paint choices:

Everything else I’ve used so far:

The frame with wheels, done and out of the way

The real work begins. I spent many a night/weekend using chemicals to remove the old paint.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Underside rust reformed

Then rubberized

Down to business. I got a big 7” grinder from HF, a few of the wire wheels and went to town on the tub. This part took the longest. Maybe 2 months’ worth of weekends. I would use the chems, and then wire wheel it. Once I got to bare, I used rust reformer for my primer, then painted over in Oregano

Lots of work around the welded in tie down points

Here’s the grinder I used

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am very happy with the paint results

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lights are from HF.. the LED ones. I got some heavier 16ga wire to use. I was able to reuse all of the grommets and wire loomed all the wires

Used a distribution block I got from home depot to wire the lights. I have a few more parts on order, such as a coiled connector and water proof box (got them from etrailer.com). I just needed to see if they worked for now

Wired up

And working!

I still have to clean and paint the inside of the tub. I plan on using raptor liner, so I will have to do it in the spring when it gets warmer. I have a media blaster connector I may attempt to use in the bed, but I’m not a fan of the dangers that stuff can cause to your lungs. I may just clean it up and paint it with cheap paint for the winter. I plan on using it quite a bit.

I still have to put the tub back on (hopefully this weekend), replace the reflectors (I’m missing one), replace data plate and mount license plate. Then I’ll need to replace the tires at some point and they are NOT cheap. About $120 each 

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I've been working on it since Sept. I don't know why I've waited this long to post. I've been posting pics in the M416 group on facebook pretty regularly. If not for the last 3 weeks of rain, I would probably be about done.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, she's back in one piece now... completely useable.

I couldn't help myself and put the wire wheel to the floor of the tub. Most of the rust ended up in my hair. Once cleaned, I put a coat of rust reformer on it. That's probably all I'll do to the bed for now, until spring.

Made my own "license plate bracket"

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for those that have used raptor liner, or other DIY bedliners, I know proper preparation is 90% of the equation when it comes to good adherence.... should I go down to bare metal and prime or just clean up the rust and leave the old paint. I would of course, scuff it up very well. Just curious as to what works.

Running a grinder inside that bed is a major PITA

·
Administrator
42,103 Posts
No need to go to bare metal but if you do while removing rust, make sure you cover it with primer.

I recommend you:

• scuff it up well
  • get all the rust off
  • prime bare spots
  • wipe it all down with MEK.
You'll be good to go :thumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you say patient, I say cheap. As in, too cheap for sand blasting :D

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
you say patient, I say cheap. As in, too cheap for sand blasting :D
hehe, I would have probabkly gone the sandblast route, my wife would kill me if I was sanding in the driveway for that much time. :)

Though clearcoating the patina after stabilizing any rust would have been cool as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some finishing touches.. reflective decals

1 - 20 of 22 Posts