Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so this weekend i plan on painting my flares and after reading around i see that most everyone prefers the krylon fusion paint, so thats what i plan to use. BUT my question is, can i paint my hardtop with that same paint or is there something else i can paint it with? I just dont want my flares and hardtop to be looking two shades of black, any suggestions??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I painted my hard top about 2 years ago with "Black-It-Out" not sure who makes it but it has held up pretty well...im about to do it again this summer. I didnt clear it so i have a few small chips in it. I just couldn't stand that spice color anymore with black flares. This paint is a flat black. It made a world of difference in the look of my jeep. I know its not a professional job but it looks great and especially on a budget. I got lots of compliments on it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Even if you used the same paint there will be a minor difference in the black.. They are two different textures and surfaces.

I have heard a favorite for hard tops is Rustoleum Hammered Black.
I used this to paint my frame, bumper, wheels and mirrors.

After the completion, when examined carefully, the paint adheres to different surfaces differently. My wheels appear to look like a really dark/metal gray. My bumper looks glossy black and my mirrors look perfect.

There's no way to 100% get around this.

As far as which color to use- you can google Painting my hardtop and find a lot.

Some people use Rhinoliner or Herculiner or Raptorliner or 49er
All preference

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Myself and a lot of others have used Krylon on the hardtop. I did mine 2 years ago. I would not worry at all about the black looking different if you used different products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts