Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my build thread. I did not have one dedicated to my last JK, just posting up whenever I had mods done. Ill keep my mods to this thread dedicated to my new JKU. As always, appreciate your ideas and input.

So technically, my build actually started with my 2012 JK. Here is the day that I picked her up.

Trail ride

topless

bye JK, first jeep love

Hello JKU in love again

Mods so far
1. Window tint 18% to match the rear
2. Smittybilt XRC Side Armor
3. Quadratec Grab Handles
4. Euro Tail covers
5. Premium Soft top (2013, new in box)
6. Mopar fuel door

Mods waiting to be put on
1. MB Razor wheels
2. HID retrofit (stay tuned...)
3. Aurora LED spot lights

Mods in the hunt
1. Sahara fenders / flat fenders
2. Nitto Trail Grappler 315/70/17
3. Stock Rubicon Suspension
4. 50 in LED light bar

·
Registered
44 Posts
What projectors did you end up going with? And also will you please please please document a bunch of it?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will certainly document. I'm taking pictures along the way. I went with morimoto mini H1 kit. I have taken my spare headlights apart and housing has been painted black. I'm off Wednesday, and plan on test fitting my setup by then. Wish me luck!

I will post DIY for those interested once I have a working setup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awesome. I have a set of evox-r's that have been calling my name to retrofit into the jeep. I have only ever retrofitted into previous projector based headlights so these will be an adventure. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some progress. have to go run some errands as well for now. will work on the second one later tonight

went from this

to this

sorry for the crappy cell phone pic for now...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This just a sneak peak. I havent completed yet, but have taken a few pics. Ill post my write up witb pics once they are up and running.

Id like to paint over the chrome on the shroud. Probably going to go with a satin grey shroud against a satin black housing. I chose not to go with any halos to give it a cleaner look.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Looks great. I agree with painting the shroud. Also, whats that little hole in the housing? What housings did you end up using? Before you seal the light, tape it just so that everything holds, MOUNT the housing on the jeep, and make sure the projector is perfectly indexed (straight.) If it isn't, nows the time to fix it, its a PITA to do it after the light is sealed. Right before sealing, put on rubber gloves and wipe everything down inside the light, maybe even blow some compressed air to make sure its dust free. It will bug the hell out of you if you leave a speck of dust in there. :D

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great. I agree with painting the shroud. Also, whats that little hole in the housing? What housings did you end up using? Before you seal the light, tape it just so that everything holds, MOUNT the housing on the jeep, and make sure the projector is perfectly indexed (straight.) If it isn't, nows the time to fix it, its a PITA to do it after the light is sealed. Right before sealing, put on rubber gloves and wipe everything down inside the light, maybe even blow some compressed air to make sure its dust free. It will bug the hell out of you if you leave a speck of dust in there. :D
Thanks Dave. I went with OEM housings that I purchased from ebay. They were a tough mudder to take apart. The hole is stock, although not sure what for. Maybe condensation release? The projector isn't seated yet. I will try to get them installed Saturday.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I probably will not finish the project this weekend. But I will try to get a test fit going.

I have to hook up the harness, ballasts, and bulbs. Waiting on my shrouds to dry. I ended up painting them in Satin Nickel while eating dinner tonight. I wanted some contrast in the black housing.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
congrats on your new jeep !! im liking what you have so far and what you plan on doing. Will you be lifting it or keeping it on stock suspension?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ thanks Don. No plan to lift yet. I plan to go nitto grapplers 315/70/17 in a few weeks. I'd like to see how the jku performs with that on a stock set up. I would like to go with AEV 2.5 set up next spring.

I wasn't able to get a test fit tonight, as I saw Nick Foles tie for a NFL TD record. Next weekend.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
waiting for the steel stick to cure... I finished up my test fit tonight. Its dark out and I havent tucked in the wires yet. Ill probably save that for next weekend. Once it cures up, Ill take the new lights off and table them until then.

This is my first attempt. I learned a heck of a lot. Probably could do it in half the time, if I had to do it again.

pictarzz. let me know what you think.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks Dave. I went with OEM housings that I purchased from ebay. They were a tough mudder to take apart. The hole is stock, although not sure what for. Maybe condensation release? The projector isn't seated yet. I will try to get them installed Saturday.
Did the projectors fit in (with housing lens on) without cutting the housing? If so, care to post a link?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the projectors fit in (with housing lens on) without cutting the housing? If so, care to post a link?
Definitely not. I was under this impression before the kit arrived. I had to cut almost 3inch hole in the back. The hardest part of the retrofit project so far, honestly, was just getting started. I hit the point of no return when I painted the shrouds. I love the outcome thus far.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I reviewed the before and after pictures and disassembled the setup today because the cut off isn't as good as I want it to be. Will reattempt this weekend. I will tuck in the wires as well for a clean install.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Props for doing HID's right. So many people just put the bulbs in factory housings but you went the extra mile(s) and spend the extra money to do it right. Your lights look great and I'm sure they'll be even better when you make some adjustments and get the cutoff where you want it.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts